Rewiring boat trailer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I suggested earlier, KISS is always the best policy, usually easiest, consistently delivers the desired results, and almost always expedites testing results. Good luck with your testing. My guess is one or more of your grounds is bad. Battery should work without need to be plugged in, but you do need to ground to connect to neg of battery.

Can't figure out what you are doing. Make sure that the white wire from the plug and your added ground wires are grounded to the trailer at the same point. Then if your lights work when connected to that common ground, but don't work from the plug, that white wire from the plug is broke.

No issues at all, and to be honest it was wired pretty bad. They just used t-clips and wires were corroded at plastic connection. I used shrink connectors with soldered centers and wrapped with silicone tape with all LED fixtures. Will probably outlast me,lol. Thank you again all!

Rewiring a boat trailer can be daunting, especially if electrical wiring and DIY crafting are unfamiliar territories. For optimal results, I suggest using crimp connectors instead of pinch-wire ones, despite their common use among trailer brands. While pinch-wire connectors work well in freshwater, they tend to rust quickly when exposed to salt water. Stay prepared and enjoy your trailer adventures worry-free!

So my boat trailer is a 4 flat. I have 3 white, one being ground. 2 brown wires that wishbone and 1 yellow, 1 green. I believe the 2 white are running lights. Brown break lights and yellow left turn, green right turn. I can’t find a 6 wire with the same color codes. Can I replace with 4 pin flat and just tap running lights into the brown wire? Or open to any suggestions. Reason for replacement is left side directional and break lights won’t work and keep blowing truck trailer fuse. All other lights work. Truck is fine. Please help.
Brown wire is the running lights
Green wire is the right turn
Yellow is the left turn
White is the ground wire
On a 6 round plug the center Post is for trailer backup lights
All camper 6 round plugs will be marked color code same as above.

Added tip if rewiring trailer using crimp connectors and/or pinch type. lather with liquid tape to create watertight connections. put something down on floor to keep floor clean of this stuff.

Latest posts

Back