Trailer Light Replacement

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ganoe

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 1995 Nitro 185 fish and ski. My tail light has quit burning on the trailer. I took it

apart last night and was surprised at what I found inside. There is a sealed unit inside

the light housing that contains the bulbs. I could not find a way to get it open. Can you

get it open and just seal it back with silicone or do I have to replace the whole sealed

unit. I hate to do that because then I have to splice into the wiring of the trailer. I've

found the replacement unit already, just wanting to hear others comments, thoughts, etc

Thanks

Mike

I had the same thing on a tracker, the best thing to do is replace the entire lights with an LED.

Make sure you seal the wires with liguid tape.

What Troy said except I used the connectors with the built in heat activated shrink wrap instead of liquid tape.

I cut the assembly apart, replaced the bulb and resealed it. It lasted almost a year. I upgraded to LED lights this spring.

Gene

Not sure about the light housing. I am sure about the wiring. If you want trouble free wiring, you must solder all connections and use a form of moisture resistant electrical sealant. Shrink tubing, moisture sealing tape, etc..

Whoa Nellie! The sealed unit is easily replaced [the unit costs about $10]. You can go the unseal, change the bulb, re-seal route if so inclined.

Of course, you could always upgrade to the LEDs if you want--$50 plus.

Definitely upgrade to the LED's.

Those tailight capsules were a poor product to begin with.

My Nitro is 15 years old and I've replaced enough of those stupid capsules to keep Wesbar in business.

I will never buy anything else from Wesbar.

Yeah, at the annual stockhoders meeting, WESBAR was complaining about a guy that wasn't doing business with them any longer; I wondered who it was.

Bulbs burn out. Sure, LEDs may be better, but give me a break; until LEDs, sealed units were an improvement over exposed bulbs, and before that exposed bulbs were better than nothing.

NEWS FLASH

LED's burn out too. Some brands faster than you might think.

I replaced a number of the capsules on my rig. Now, I just unplug the lights before I back in and I wait until I take the boat out of the water to plug the trailer back up. Been doing it this way for the past several years and haven't had to replace any capsules since!

RoyC

Latest posts

Back