Trailer bearing question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas why i would keep losing bearing dust caps off my trailer? Ive lost three caps in the last month off the trailer. im not just losing the little rubber piece where the grease fitting is, im loosing the whole metal cap. my trailer is a nx882 one with brakes. ive never lost a cap before on my old boat or on this one until this year. Its getting frustrating every time i go out i have to replace the same cap. Its the same wheel every time. They go on really tight and seem to fit well so why i keep loosing them beyond me. any ideas?

check the caps you are using.some are for 1.990 hubs,and some are for the larger hubs.if you are putting the 1.990 caps on the larger hubs,they tend to fall off.check with ken on the size they should be.my 93 trailer has the 1.990 hubs,i have not lost a cap so far in the 5 yrs ive had bearing buddies on them.i kind of dont like the rubber plug ones.ive had water get into them on several occasions and blow out the rubber plugs.

the other option for you is to drill and tap the hub for a set screw to hold the cap on in place,but kind of messy and time consuming also.

Another thing to think about, is the hub hot after trailering? It could be the brake sticking causing the hub to heat up. This causes the hub to expand just enough to let the dust cap work itself out. If the brakes are ok the I agree with magna19, put a set screw in it.

damuniz

Latest posts

Back