Trailer axle bent?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:)I am new to this board and was hoping someone has an answer.I have a new to me 1994 Nitro 170 DC. I just noticed the other day that it looks like the axle of the trailer is bowing. Any suggestions as to where to get a new axle or is it possible to try and bend it back or roll it 180 degrees. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.:)

Might sound silly, but don't these axles have a camber built into them?

I am not sure. It looks like the tires are toeing out at the bottom where they meet the ground. Kinda like this: /-------

Don't know yet. I just bought the boat this past October and the previous owner had new tires installed in June of last year. I was told by someone that the axles have a tendency to bend from the weight of the boat. I find that hard to believe though. But I guess anything is possible. I guess once the snow melts I will put a piece of straight iron across the axle and see if it is bent or possibly a hub/bearing issue.

I would think that it was built that way. Kinda unusual to bend an axle, especially right in the middle. My PT 175 trailer axle bends up in the middle, so the tires are like this ---/.

I had a 95 model, same boat and the axles on those trailers are too light duty (1500lb). The bend in the axle is built into it to compensate for the weight, but the axle is simply just not strong enough to be dependable. Had the same problem and wore out two sets of tires on the inside tread. Always had my tires balanced also. I went to a local trailer shop and got the axle replaced with a 3500lb capacity axle and new springs, problem solved and it trailered much better. Ran me less than $300.00 for everything and the confidence on the road was worth every penny. Good luck

I have the same tire wear problem with my 1999 PT185 trailer. Tracker replaced the axle back in '02 or '03. However, they put the same under rated axle back on and the inside tire wear problems continued. Ordered a new 3500# ultra-lube type axle, wheel hubs, bearings, springs, and all new mounting hardware for the axle and springs.

Recieved the axle late Dec. but I have not installed it, still to cold in the garage for me. I can say this for sure, there is a "huge" diffence between the old and new axle tube diameters. Price was not to bad either, $260 something for everything delivered to the house.

For what it is worth, the new axle has a "crown" or bend also, they are made that way for weight distribution as previously mentioned.

I will not comment on the axle being too light or not, but one of the first things I do when i buy a new boat, is to take it to an alignment shop, and have then check the axle alignment. they do some times have to bend the axle to get the thing just right, never had a problem with tire wear on any of my boats after doing that. ANy trailer manufacturing company, they buy the axles preassembled, intall them and sends then down the road as completed, never checking the alighment with any good process.

Normal...as far as the Tracker tires (bias ply) wearing funny...get rid of them and put a good set of radials on it and the problems of cupping and wearing should go away.

I just got rid of my 93 170DC and I noticed that my axle was bowed too. In the two years I owned it the tires haven't worn a bit on either side. I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago.

I have the same issue on a 2011 trailstar. I spoke to the manufacturer and the axel is rated to 2750 lbs. My tracker targa is 2400 lbs. Tires are badly worn on the inside. the axle is a factory v bend.

So my question is this. I can have a 3500 lb straight axle installed but it isn’t a v bend. My boat is a v hull and it looks like the straight axle would be close to the bottom of the boat.

Has anyone done this? What was your experience? I think I need to replace the axle and this is likely the best option.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thx

If your axle is bent, replace it. Now. If you remain local, you can get away with it for a while. I blew 4 wheel bearings over 2 years trailering to Florida from New England before I smartened up and replaced the axle. Cost for the axle complete was less than $300. The first wheel bearing incident cost me $1100 and 11 hours broken down on I 95 near Jacksonville.
Word to the wise.😉

To reduce the cost, a lot of boats are riding on trailers that are bare minimum at best for weight capacity. When I bought my Z-18, I insisted that it be on a tandem axle trailer. That was a good decison. Never had any trailer issues and my tires are 5 years old, they will become too old before they wear out..

Found a "barn find" approximately 4 mos back- 95 Nitro 170 TF, Rick Clunn edition. Boat was in great shape. It seems that with the single axle trailers on these boats, this seems to be a common problem. The previous owner welded a length of angle iron under the axle to provide some stability, but driving down the road, thankfully a short distance to the lake, the tires do the following: /--------\ . New tires so I haven't been able to assess wear yet. Great post here of folks who are experiencing similar issues and many thanks to everyone for what they have recommended to fix this issue. I want to be able to trust the trailer on longer road trips, but aren't quite there yet. Would going to a 3500lb axle fix the issue and additional leaf springs would be required also, correct? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back