to Nitro or Not

• Thread starter Steve Weinstein [URL]http://cincinnati.craigslist.
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Weinstein

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum - so hi and thanks for everyone's time with rookies like me. Anyway, I got a 2008 Nitro 901CDX last year and have under 50 hours on it, that being mostly break in, but I already can't get my mind off the Z-9's. I love my 901 too. Can't figure. So i decided to put it out for sale and get the Z-9 if it sold. I'm new to a Bass boat, but not boating...been doing it with bowriders for over 15 years and 3 boats. And I know people commonly buy up til they really do have the boat they want. My question is ...just how much difference is there between the two boats, comparably equipped, when it comes to non-tournament fishing?
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/3533374717.html

Buddy If I had your 901 I don't think I'd be interested in a Z9...Your Boat is immaculate but hey if the budget will allow go for it. I wish my budget would allow for me to buy your boat.

Nice rig. What you will get with a Z9 is bigger boat, bigger trolling motor and some other "fishing" based options (electronics, storage, etc.). Your boat, while very nice, is truly a mid level fisher. Smaller outboard, smaller TM. If it had a 225 and 36v troller there would be a lot less of difference. You will need to find a buyer who is like yourself moving up from something else. The fishermen tire kickers will give you the same reasons as me for negatives on the boat. I fished a lot out of a 901 and liked it. It had a 200 and was somewhat underpowered. Prop selection and set up are important with your rig. Price your boat right and it will move. The more you go to the fishing side, the less it will be a family boat but if you liked the 901 style, Z8 or Z9 is really no different. I pulled tubes with my 929 but 4 people (with center seat option) is pretty much max seating.

Yep, 200 was it and it was a finicky hull to get out of the water. I found my fat butt climbing on the front deck more than once to get it on plane.:lol: Wasn't my rig so I never got to play with the set-up or prop. I just can't believe how so many have set-up problems. My heavy...very heavy 929 packed to the gunnels with gear and 2 guys would jump outta the hole with a 225 efi and run 65-67 all day long. 25p prop with all of the vent holes plugged. Heck, it even got on plane with water just about to come over the batteries in the back....don't ask, and no I didn't forget the plug. :p

I agree Tox, I had to get my fat arse on the deck of a 901 until it got on plane when I fished in club tournies. My Triton TR-21 XD (extra deep) with a 225 Pro XS pops up on plane with no problems. I never tried it with the bildge full of water.....yet! :lol:

Dan has explained it before why the 901 was a finicky set up. Once set up they are a very good hull and have very good fishability. On my 929, the dang engine mount bolts wallowed out the silicone sealant around them and it would only leak while under torque in the water. It was a b!tch to figure out!! Dropped client off one day and was having a tough time getting on plane so I opened the back deck....batts were about 1/8th of an inch from going under. That's when I also found out that the marina did not re-wire my auto bilge when I had the pumps changed:angry: I sat there for about 10 min bilging out, then got on plane and ran back to the ramp.

Thanks everyone...I can see why members like the forum. BTW, I plane OK with 2 in my 901 (400#s)so no complaints there,but I haven't filled all my storage bins either. Basically, the greater lenght in the Z9 (22")is all in the front deck. I already have a 3 bank charger and 82# trolling motor which was plenty even on a windy day at Guntersville, so that's not it either. I am a little concerned about runnung the 175HP at higher RPM's to get reasonable speed that a bigger engine wouldn't require....so I guess it's a better ride and bigger engine wearing better, along with a pretty new Z9!

Latest posts

Back