Thoughts - Procraft 180 Combo w/150XR6

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - I'm starting to shop for a new (to me) boat for Eli and I. I gotta go the fish/ski route as I want to only have 1 boat, and Eli was really getting into Skiing before our last move to China, along with Fishing. Need to keep it in the 18-19ft range due to towing capacities on the Dodge, so I've found a 2004 ProCraft 180 Combo with the 150 XR6. I know the XR6 is old school carb'd 2 stroke, but how have they held up over the years? I haven't seen the boat in person, but may go and look at it after I get back in Late December if its still for sale.

So any issues anyone knows/have had with the Procraft boats in general and the 150XR6 specifically? I know she'll eat gas like no one else if I run her WOT!! LOL

Also if anyone knows of anyone selling an 18-19ft fish/ski in Atlanta the area, want a 150HP minimum for reasonable performance, shoot me an email or PM.

Oh the boat is at Clark Marine in Franklin, TX - Anyone dealt with them before? Would be a long drive, but the boat looks good in pictures :)

Can't wait to get back on the water (and back to my family and dogs too!) in January!!!

Trep

Ive got an XR6 150. I got it new in 2003. I have run it without problems. Just routine maint stuff. Had it out Monday and Tuesday this week and it ran great. About 50 MPH on GPS.

My advice is to get a bass boat. You can ski very well from a bass boat. You can fish very well from a bass boat. You can ski very well from a fish/ski boat. You cannot fish very well from a fish/ski boat.

Just my .02 and I dont think you will have to go to TX to find a boat.

Have you looked at Bass Boat Central?

I guess it depends on how much of one or the other your doing. I see XR150 on a lot of Lunds where I'm fishing now Michael and they are solid but a little thirsty compaired to the newer motors. Wouldn't think twice about one as long as it checks out. ie compression good on all six new water pump etc.

fatrap

Sorry guys, its in TN, not TX!! LOL I'm also looking locally.

Mini - Been there, done that, had the Ski pole on the old Nitro, can't take Eli and 3-4 girls in the bass boat!! LOL So we'll try a Fish/Ski for a while :)

I'm also looking at some nice used Tritons, Skeeters and Sprint Fish/Ski as well. Now when Eli heads to College in 5 years or he gets 'out of' water sports, out the door the Fish/Ski goes and in comes another bass boat!! LOL

Trep

Trep,

I had the Merc 150 XR6 on my Nitro and it was rock solid for the 12 years I owned it. I liked the fish/ski when my kids were younger, but we mostly FISHED! The 21 footer I have now fishes very well with my grown up kids! Good luck in your search.

BobG

Edit: Grammar

I've got a 2006 Procraft and had no issues with the boat.'

Steve

Ron - I had a 700lx Merc 115, great little boat, but like I mentioned to Mini, even with Ski Pylon couldn't take enough of the kids.

Now if a certain 911 owning member made me a deal on HIS 911, THAT maybe I could use for both, with the 4 across seating!!! LOL

Trep,

the 150 XR6 is a fantastic motor and as durable as them come. I had one on my 882 and beat the stuffing out of it for years and it never gave me a seconds worth of trouble. They are a good dependable motor.

They arent as thirsty as you might think either. Sure they are no opti but not terrible at all. If I compared my XR6 to my dads old Johnson 150GT and compared to that the XR6 was a fuel miser. GT stood for gas thirsty on that motor.

I am not suggesting you buy an NX750...that is MY boat!

The boat in the link is a Nitro 185FS with a 150 EFI (better than a carb and not as complicated as an Optimax), hydraulic steering and is a garage kept boat.

Ron

Trep, I know of a shiny red NITRO with a 115. But it's not for sale. My 02 Nitro 896 has an Merc XR6 150, good motor.

Dennis in Al

Sounds like a solid outfit.only recomendation I have is to unhook the oil pump unit on that age motor and mix your own gas.I have the same motor and the downfall of that mootor was the design of the oiling system.any mechanic will tell you about this issue.cant mix plastic gearing with metal.

I would have my doubts that a 150 could pull a single ski with 3-4 people in an 18' boat. With the right prop and a good skier, you might be able to get them up but it's going to be asking alot of that motor. I'd be looking for a 19 footer with a 200 min. I fished from a fish and ski for about 2 years. Sure there were compromises but I still caught fish.

NoCAL

Latest posts

Back