Thanks...one more question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erin Resch

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the 75 hp motor. Once I got home, I checked and it is 75 ELPTO 2-stroke.

I have one more question...call me a boat motor idiot.....is that diret injection or efi? I have someone in CA that wants to buy the boat and says it needs to be direct injection. I don't know how to tell...

Again, call me an idiot....any help would be greatly appreciated.....ASAP!!! I'm trying to get this thing sold

Thanks again

It is neither a direct injected or EFI motor. It is a standard carbed motor...which I believe have been banned in CA

Yup - ELPTO's are the old fashioned carbuerated two-stroke engines. As for California, I know that manufacturers had to meet fleet-wide emission averages that essentially banned the sale of the old-fashioned two-stroke technology. Therefore, new outboards had to be direct fuel injection (DFI) or four-stroke. However, I'm not sure that the ban extended all the way to motors already in the hands of consumers. For example, for cars, you can't buy a new vehicle that's not California certified (i.e., certified in 45 states). This means you can't cross over to Arizona, buy a new federally-certified vehicle and have it registered in California. However, if your car was over a year old (or something like that timeframe) and was previously registered in another state where you had bought it as a non-California resident, you could bring it in and registered if you were moving into the state. So I would check the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulations on used outboards. You may be grandfathered in.

I think the buyer might also be concerned about "local" restrictions much tighter than the CARB standards for some county and locally controlled lakes. It is a real pain out there...

Latest posts

Back