Storing outside

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Looks like the Tundra gets stored outside this winter. The nephew is storing hay where I keep it so it's outside. Last time I stored one outside I put the motor in the basement and turned the boat upside down on the trailer. Little hard to do with a Tundra. What special steps are suggested.

fatrap

One thing i highly recommend in addition to the standard winterize of the motor is getting the boat shrinkwrapped. It will help keep moisture at bay and you wont have any issued with snow buildup etc. Its truly the way to go vs covering it with a tarp.

I also put some mothballs in a cup at the vent point where critters may get in after its been wrapped to keep them out.

Other things to do, get a set of those cheap RV tire covers and cover the tires so they dont get beat to death by the sun. Spray any metal on the trailer that can rust with a corrosion inhibiter, I also remove all tension from the trailering straps and if you can jack the trailer and put it on blocks so you dont risk flatspotting the tires.

I used a water tight cover with a PVC pipe frame to make a hump for the water to shed off. I also made sure that the gas was empty and the water was out of the motor and other piping inside the boat. I also had the trailer tilted up so that any water that may get under the cover will flow out.

Barry from La.:)

This is what mine looks like after I have winterized, Chris F.
Winterized Nitro.JPG

Thanks guys. how much for shrink wrap? I wonder. The problem I had with the barn is the mice always find a way in. mothballs poison whatever they brought seeds and crap. Now that theres hay in the barn all KINDS of critters will be in there.

fatrap

fatrap, for what it's worth, shrinkwrap in Fargo is $12/ft....is there an option to pay someone to store it inside? We have indoor storage at the fairgrounds and other private facilities for about $18/ft for the winter.

mine Is getting shrink wrapped for the first time was always Inside,, Shrink wrapped Is cheaper and just as good...

Fatrap, meet me in Memphis i'll take the boat back to Atlanta and store it nice and WARM/DRY in the garage all winter, and i'll make sure Eli and I take her out every other weekend to run the motor for ya!!! LOL

davetnitro, you are such a tease! :huh:

This is an older pic....new trailer, new cover, new powerhead, new electronics....:)

But you get the idea....I clear the snow off of her and apologize daily!

IMG_1427.JPG

not last night....couple of years ago.

I hate to put her away with the weather we have here...you never know. could be sunny and 60 the day after snow like this :)

I winterize by putting my coveralls in mine!!:lol: As long as the lake don't freeze the Crappies are always biting in the winter.:cool:

Tim

Latest posts

Back