Sticky starter

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G8rmac

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Mercury 40 HP on my PT175. It's a great motor, runs great and always dependable, but I am having problems with my starter. The pinion gear is sticking, so when you turn the key the starter spins, but it won't move up to engage the flywheel. I have to take the cover off and work the pinion with a screwdriver until it loosens up, then the motor starts first turn of the key. I don't want to spend $200 on a new starter if I don't have to. Any ideas on how to loosen it up?

You can try and clean the bendix shaft with silicone spray and lube with a light coat of graphite lube (anything sticky like grease will attract even more debris and exacerbate the problem), but what you describe is indicative of a starter on the outs and/or a bad solenoid. Check the solenoid for cleanliness and continuity. If fine, firm and tight, look for the starter going bad. The clean and lube may prolong the inevitable replacement. Good luck! ;)

Dan nailed it, starter will let you down soon. Remove it yourself and bring it to a generator/starter shop in your area. Most of the time it is a simple fix.

Bubby:)

Latest posts

Back