stereo while fishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Johnson2

Reaction score
What are your opinions on having the stereo on while bass fishing? I have heard both sides of the argument, but haven't heard any personalopinions or stories on the matter. Just curious. I'm thinking of installing XM in my boat, but not if it will mess up the fishing. the boat is not used for anything else.

Chris

I always have my radio playing while I'm fishing.

With all the boat traffic,jet skies wizzing by,and other noise,there's no way anybody can tell me the radio bothers the fish.

Plus I have caught too many fish,in close pitching/flipping while the radio was going..

Steve

The only problem that I ran into with the stero playing was late in the afternoon (late summer, early fall) was snakes. The virbration would bring them to the boat, other than that, we would catch more with the stero on than off.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Personal choice. I don't like going to the beach and hearing a blaring radio: I don't like sitting in my car and hearing someone elses blaring radio: I don't like sitting on my deck on a nice summer everning and hearing a blaring radio: And when I'm fishing, I want to concentrate on fishing, the nature around me, and the peacefullness of it all. I do NOT mean any offense and you do what you want. I'm just giving my point of view in regard to what OTHERS may feel about someone having a radio on while fishing.

Bill

I have noticed that I definatly catch more bass when I'm playing Miles Davis.

Harpo

woooooooooooo weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bill barham.......that d-- blaring radio !!!!! well....here's my story and i'm sticking with it. i've been cat fishing at night and caught cat fish after dark with a boom box playing ok...................do i need to say more??? "blaring" radio......llmaooooooooooooooo wooooo weeeeeeeeee baby yaeah.......im jammin right now can ya tell.............yea yea yea. !!!!1

I get what your saying Bill, I get annoyed listening to others music at full tilt. I personally have always thought of having music playing as a soundtrack to what I'm doing at any given moment. It seems to get me in a positive frame of mind. Anyway, I guess I'll be putting the XM in the boat. Don't worry Bill, you won't even know I'm there. Besides, I think the fish will love Johnny Cash.

Chris

If you install a Sirrius system, do NOT get the Clarion, it's junk. I have to replace nearly every one that comes with a new boat.

FYI

I've already got two other XM receivers hooked up, so I'll stick with what I know. This isn't gonna be anything special, anyway. Free tape deck, car kit I already have laying around from another receiver, etc. Thanks for letting me know about those clarions, though. That kinda surprises me. I had a clarion in my wrangler, not even an all-weather one, and it worked great.

Chris

i always got the XM playin in the tracker!!!!!!!!! channel 48 SQUIZZ

nothin but hard rock
05-21-05_1435.jpg
05-21-05_1434.jpg

I like Xcountry, Deep tracks, Fungus, and Hanks Place. I listen to Opie and Anthony every once in a while, too. There's also one that plays a lot of Zappa, but I can't remember which channel. I keep the computer here in the control room at work playing XM as well.

I think I'm with Bill on this one. I like the peace and quiet of fishing without a stereo playing. As Bill said, to each his own. Doesn't mean I think less of folks just because they like their tunes while fishing. Again, to each his own.

Tight lines (with or without music!).

A day I'll never forget for the rest of my life was fishing on a warm November day at Lake of the Arbuckles, which is a beautiful highland lake in south central Oklahoma. What really made it special besides the beautiful day, surroundings, and the company of my son, was the one CD we had in the Sony boombox I sometimes take along. I was a compilation CD that I bought at Starbucks, of various Delta Blues singers from John Lee Hooker, Slim Harpo, Mississippi John Hurt to Bessie Smith and Odeta. The CD has about 25 tracks on it so it didn't get old just to let it play over and over. We didn't have it turned up very loud and the mellow blues music seemed to fit the day perfectly. Everytime I listen to the CD it takes me back to that day.

Harpo

John Hurt.jpg

Mississippi John Hurt one of my favorite people

Whatever:rolleyes: I have one but, you catch me playin' it while seriuos bass fishin'!:lol:

I do listen to it when wanting to know what the weather is and while pan fishin':p

Well, I guess the opinion is it has more effect on the people on the water than the fish below. Actually, when scuba diving you really don't hear much from above, maybe a boat going past, so I guess it doesn't effect the fish unless the speakers were hard-mounted to the hull.

No, for me. The only time I took/take a radio is if I'm 'relaxing fishing' and not really bass fishing. Generally revolves around either a football game being on, or a late evening/night baseball game (while crappie fishing).

Sitting on the lake at night in summer, after the sun is down listening to a baseball game while dunking minners, is just plain relaxing.

Tex

While on the subject of stereo's in boats,I have a NX750 single console,where is the best place to put a couple speakers?

I have an 896. I didn't want to cut in the speakers so I built boxes and covered them with carpet from Craig at BPS.

Image035.jpg

Image036.jpg

Gene

If I'm bassin, I like it quiet....

For bluegills or perch, I'm jammin!!!!

When bass fishing, I've recently started shutting off my depthfinders when I don't need them...I haven't noticed much difference with the Garmin being off, but I'll swear I do better when the Hummin'bird is OFF!

az

OK you guys are making me think now, Eli keeps asking for CDs in the boat. Any suggestions IF I agree to do it in my PC 175??

I like what Gene did in his boat. Very nice!

Trep - buy him a cd/walkman with earphones and either a belt clip, or arm band. Problem solved.

Tex

Listening to the ball game and fishing on a nice summer evening would be outstanding but everytime I hit the trolling motor there is an immense amount of static on my boat stereo. Does anyone know if a cure for this?

Are you running the stereo off the trolling motor battery???

If so, switch it over to the starting battery...

az

I'm running off the starting battery.

Static is only notable when I am listening to AM. FM is decent.

Paul

I love tunes when Im fishin tourny or fun fishin....Nitty Gritty Dirt Band...Fishin in the Dark...LOL....

T.S.

Paul,

You need a noise filter to take out the interference. I have never used one, but I know people that have and they say it helped. BPS doesn't have one listed online, but I found this one. I don't know anything about the company, I just did a search and used it for an example.

PAC Model #ANS80 Extra Heavy Duty Source In-Line Noise Filter

* Helps eliminate extraneous noise from car/boat stereo systems

* For alternator output lead

* 12 VCD 60 Amp

* Positive or negative ground

* Sealed for long life or marine use

* In-Line Electronic Filter

* Mount is ground - must be solidly mounted on clean metal

Price $18.95

The stereo that was in my boat when I bought it last year lasted three trips and then shorted out. I am looking at replacing it with the Dual AM/FM CD NOAA weather band stereo BPS has on sale. We only use it while doing watersports, but I like the idea of having the NOAA weather bands. Some of the radio stations in rural Oklahoma are questionable at best when the weather turns bad.

http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/sgl-prod/accessories/noise-sup/ans80.htm

Larry

http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/sgl-prod/accessories/noise-sup/ans80.htm

Latest posts

Back