Stanley/Alladin thermos warranty issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffry Skidmore

Reaction score
I had to choose between this category and "Off-Topic", but I figured quite a few of you have this product.

First and foremost,let me say that my Stanley Stainlees Thermos has provided me with many a hot cup during a chilly fishing or hunting trip.:D:D I bought the product around 1983 or 1984. I have not abused it, (dropped it,threw it in the toolbox or truck bed, drove over it, drove off with it on the roof, etc.)and was always careful to clean it after every use.

Stanley claims to have a "lifetime warranty" against "man. defects or workmanship". On my thermos, one of the welds that attaches the bracket that holds the handle failed, (defect?)allowing the handle to come loose on one side. I emailed Stanley CS and asked if I could send it to them to have it repaired. A CS Rep. emailed me back and told me to email the color, man. date, and description of the issue, which I did. In addition I attached a pic of the thermos showing the issue.

I just got an email reply saying that it was a normal wear and tear issue, and not repairable or replaceable.:unsure::unsure::unsure: My point is, and I replied in kind to Stanley, IMO, their lifetime warranty ain't worth spit!!!!!:angry::angry::angry: I can only hope none of you others have any issues similar to mine. Those thermos's, as good as they are, now sell for $40+, and I told them I wouldn't spend $40 of my money to replace that product or purchase any other Stanley product in the future. I urge all of you to do the same.

Now this ain't a world/life changing issue, but it kills me dead to here some company(ies) make claims that they have no intention of fullfilling. I'm still gonna use the thermos; I'll duct tape the friggin' handle on, and when someone (if anyone) asks about it, I'll tell them my tale.:D:D

I'd send it back and ask them to look at it and provide an explanation as to why that certain weld failed.

Normal wear and tear normally won't break a weld....unless it's on TEE's boat:lol:

TOXIC

beotch!:angry::lol::angry::lol:

Hit it with a rubber mallet and say you hit an underwater object...oh crap, wait a minute:eek:

I remember Tee having those issues.:D I asked in the original email about returning it to the factory *for repair*. Evidently, they don't accept returns/repairs.:angry: That is the reason I attached a picture in my email. I understand if the plastic handle breaks, but it's the original plastic handle intact. The weld on the metal bracket on the side of the thermos is what failed.:wacko: Like I said, I'll still use it with DT, but why tout a warranty if you ain't gonna honor it?:blink:

here is a pic( I think)
big fish 155.JPG

Ahhhhh...my eyes!

Use a dab of JB Weld.

Tox...that would be "stinky" ass muffin:lol:

a dogs limitations.jpg

Here is the part that many manufacturers really mean - but fail to tell us.

Obviously, your Thermos has lasted more than it's intended or supported 'lifetime'. Lifetime is not 'your lifetime', but the lifetime of the product.

Per your comment:

Stanley claims to have a "lifetime warranty" against "man. defects or workmanship".

If it was a manufacturing defect or workmanship issue, don't you think it would have shown up a little sooner than 27 or 28 years? Most of those items show up fairly soon. Come on now, you didn't really think you could have it fixed or replaced now, did you? ;)

Tex

What they should have done......

"I'm sorry for the trouble you have experienced with our Thermos Sir, but it appears as though the weld failed from normal wear and tear, however, we appreciate the fact that you have used our product for so many years and will replace it for you at our cost of $_______, as a goodwill gesture."

I can say that one warranty that IS good is Sears. I buy almost all Craftsman tools and when any have failed (very few) I have taken it to sears and they just go to the shelf, give me a new one and say thanks!!!!!

Love them!

Randy!

1.) If I use JB Weld, Marine Glue, etc., it will look pretty ok. If I use duct tape, it looks rednecky and may be a good lead into my "story".:D

2.) Tex,

a.) the thermos still holds liquid without leaking, keeps said liquid hot for long periods of time as advertised. So the thermos is still within it's "lifetime". BTW, "lifetime warranties" typically equate to "as long as you own the product", and I still own it. And I'm the original owner.:p

b.) I didn't ask for a replacement; I asked for an address to send it to have it repaired. I am willing to pay shipping and a reasonable repair fee to have that done. Actually I would rather have the "old" Thermos for "sentimental value".:wub:

3.) Bob B.

Your solution I could live with.:)

I just need to gripe sometimes, and who better to gripe at than an un-feeling, impersonal, greedy corporation?:D:D

Randy,

I use Craftsman tools also. No problems there. Except Sears is closing our local store after 50 years!:(:(:(

BTW, Tee, sorry about the eyes......mine too!

Now see...I could have lived with an answer like that from Tracker:D

Especially after they made their money from me on two boats.....I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt Johnny's pockets any but, instead they lost any future customers here.

I would try a nice heavy duty nylon pull-tie to hold that bracket down. That's what I've seen other people due for a fix at work. They are a very good thermos, no questions about it.

Your first response in a negotiation is that negative? I'm shocked they didn't send you a new thermos immediately.

Hey Marty,

My "first response in a negotiation that negative"???? Bite one!! How in the world is asking for an address to send in for a repair negative??? And how is sending all requested information (and an additional pic)negative? And when is a response like, "Uhm, sorry sir, your product is not covered by a lifetime warranty we claim to honor; go buy a new one." a "negotiation"?

Like I said guys, it ain't something I can't learn to live with, and it wouldn't break the bank to go buy a new one; but if you won't stand by your product don't tout a lifetime warranty. That's pretty frikkin' simple!

BTW, I bought a Midas muffler about 12 years ago. It had a "lifetime warranty". Last fall I took it back to Midas with a hole in it. They replaced the muffler, I paid for labor. The new one has a lifetime warranty also; when it dies, I'll go back and *have it repaired* again, and pay the labor. My Point; I don't look for a free ride...just do what you say your gonna do, and if you ain't gonna do it, don't say you will.

This started off as a light-hearted rant and sort of went down hill here at the end. Thanks for all of the input!:lol::lol:

:eek:Steve,

I'm afraid if I try to repair it myself, it may ^void^ the "lifetime warranty".:eek::eek::lol::lol::lol:

Jeffry,

I think what needs explaining is in most cases, a "Lifetime" warranty is based on the average expected life for that particular product, not your's or anyone else time on this planet. If the average industry expected life of a Thermos is say for example, 5 - 6 years, that is "Lifetime". I have to be honest here, and each to their own, but I would be telling everyone, buy this brand, the thing did 28 years of remarkable service for me and I'm buying another and it will probably outlive me, what a remarkable product!

I cannot think of another consumable product that would last 28 years, probably cost less than $10 bucks back then, and perform so flawlesly all of this time.

I disagree. If a Maker states "lifetime", it usually comes with the moniker......"to the original owner"....that would mean to ME that it is warrantied for as long as I live, and own it. My 2008 Dodge Caliber came with an "unlimited" TIME AND MILEAGE powertrain warranty. You bet your tackle if it breaks at 150K, 12 years from now, I will be looking for warranty consideration.

I don't think the issue here is that he did not get many years of great service, it's that the Maker did not deliver on a "promise"......

OK, here's another point of view. The manufacturer states the warranty is lifetime

"lifetime warranty" against "man. defects or workmanship".

If they determined the handle broke because of normal use and was not a manufacturer or workmanship defect (evidenced by the age of the product) then they won't cover it and I wouldn't expect them to. It would have been good PR to offer you one at cost but I don't honestly think that the warranty ought to cover it. They missed a chance to make a customer, a lifetime customer.

TOXIC

Here we go again:rolleyes:

To me it depends on "Limited Lifetime" or "Lifetime" and in some cases it's "Your Lifetime".

They all have differences and deal with them as "they" see fit.

Been there, done it and have the scars to prove it.:lol:

I can tell you from experience that I'm getting better at "reading" on what I can and cannot get covered under a warranty. All in all you would be surprised on what I can get covered at times that a manufacturer would not normally cover;)

It's just that TM wouldn't even budge or look back at the records...if they had or ol' Johnny had any kind of heart...they would (should) at least "helped".

Let's move on shall we?? We can debate what a true "defect" is all day long, and what the Dealers, Makers and Owners are responsible for. Bottom line is that THIS Maker SHOULD have stepped up to the plate and offered SOMETHING, and if deemed non-warrantable, should have considered a GOODWILL ADJUSTMENT....in the interest of Customer Satisfaction and retention....at least in my eyes.

Tee, I hear your plight, but I wasn't and aren't privy to what transpired with you years ago. I've stated before and I'll say it again, in my tenure hear at THIS dealership, I have dealt with MANY different Makers...and I will state that Trackers Policies are "near the top".

Here's one for you......years ago, a VERY high end Ski boat Maker refused warranty coverage on a {50K} boat that had a leaking rubrail. This problem had plagued him from day one {love that saying}. Another Dealer had attempted to fix it three times. Brought it to us. Due to the Customer being upset and the Maker involved, the Factory Rep was called and asked to look into it. He pulled the rubrail apart, found the problem, and due to a busy schedule had to leave. I was left with a half taken apart boat. He told me to call them and arrange "what's next", not only did they deny coverage, they left both the Customer and this Dealership hanging. I repaired and finished the boat and did NOT charge the Customer. He owned THREE identical boats before this one, and would have bought three more down the road. Needless to say, whatever brand we carry, he will buy. End.

On the Sears thing. The big difference here is Sears readily advertises that if it's a Craftsman 'hand tool' and it breaks, bring it in and we'll replace it for free'. If you are in a Sears store, stop by and ask to see the 'returns' drawer. It's always interesting. One thing that will be there many times over is a spark plug socket - with a split/crack in the sidewall. Been used to take off lug nuts from a wheel! They replace them, regardless.

Tex

My issue with Stanley is/was/never has been with the product itself. It is/was/always will be the fact that they advertise one thing, and at leastin my case, didn't stand up to their promise.

Can I fix it myself? Of course I can! Duct tape, cable ties, JB Weld etc., would all do the job, and some wouldn't affect the "cosmetics". But the company promises a "lifetime warranty", yet won't even consider a repair at a reasonable cost to me, which is what I asked for to begin with.

You know, had they given me an address, accepted it and repaired it, (the actual process of spot welding it back would have taken *maybe* 30min for pre-cleaning/wleding/post-cleanup)and returned it *at my cost*, I would have had a 28yr plus original product that I could show off and say, "Boy, them Stanley people! Not only do they make a great product, but they stand behind it too!":wub::wub: Can't/won't do that now.:(:(

As Bob B. said, let's move on; there other fish that need catching!!:cool::cool:

Thommo,

Just because you posted directly to me; I think your interpretation of "lifetime in most cases" is a little inaccurate. Nearly all lifetime warranty provisions include the phrases "original owner" and "as long as you own the product" and maybe even "non-transferrable".

The manufacture date on my Thermos is 1983, purchased for around $20-$25 and I'm the original owner. I am extremely pleased with the perormance of the product itself. If I get another 28yrs out of it, it will more than likely outlive me (59yrs old). I just don't want to leave it to my son with a broken handle. :D

Thanks Jeffry,

There is many interpretations and everyone see's it differently, here's an extract from the net if you search "What is a Lifetime Warranty". Wasn't actually my interpretation.

Lifetime warranty is a confusing term that means only what the manufacturer defines it as. In other words, every lifetime warranty can be different and can be specifically defined by the manufacturer of the product, seller of the warranty, or producer of a service. In fact, many times the term can be such a headache, that other terminology like a time limit is offered with warranty. A four-year warranty, for instance, is much easier to define than a lifetime warranty, though it may still have some unexpected loopholes.

Both words in the phrase

If you don't want to weld it (my previous answer) why don't you just accept the fact that for the last 30 years (almost) it has given you trouble-free service and go buy another one? For the cost of about 10 cents a month you have been able to drink your favorite beverage in the way you like it, HOT.

I have the same one and if the handle broke as yours did I would weld it. If I burned through and ruined the thing I would buy another one in an instant because it is the best one I've seen in years.

I know where you're coming from with the warranty but if that is the stand they are taking you just have to accept it. You could always try to teach them a lesson by buying another brand but when I see you out on a cold day mine will be hotter than yours! :p

Latest posts

Back