Speaking of Batteries...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
I have the "standard issue" Interstate batteries in my TV-18. So far they have worked great...I check them periodically to ensure they have proper fluid levels...

Here's my question:

Is it "best" to top them off with distilled water or use battery electrolyte (acid)???

Which will make the batteries last longer???

az

I've always been told to use Distilled water, (and that's all I do use).........good question though!!

Mac

Use the distilled water, the acid doesn't evaporate and you have to keep the correct proportion of acid to water. I assume the "standard Interstate" batteries are lead/acid.

Hey Rob,

When you grow up and become big and famous, you can use Perrier water in your batteries!!!

OK Ken, that's it! You insulted my pride. That means DEATH! You and me, you name the water and the time! Loser is Champy chum! LOL Actually, can you make the place within a 4 hour drive of here, and the date, well, actually I'm only free after August 4th. LOL But other than that, you're toast mister. Yeah you extra fish cullin, trophy stealin', no good, low down......

OK Ken, that's it! You insulted my pride. That means DEATH! You and me, you name the water and the time! Loser is Champy chum! LOL Actually, can you make the place within a 4 hour drive of here, and the date, well, actually I'm only free after August 4th. LOL But other than that, you're toast mister. Yeah you extra fish cullin, trophy stealin', no good, low down......

When your battery has last fluid, it's lost water, not electrolyte. Keep it topped off with distilled water.

The problem with tap water is the trace chemicals. Good for your body, maybe, bad for your battery, definitely. You don't want to add anything but water back to the battery.

WHAT is going on with my PC? Sorry for the triplicate posts guys. Weird things with our server the last 2 days.

With all this talk about using Evian and Perrier for a battery, I think may be important to point out that there is a HUGE difference between spring water (evian, perrier, etc) and distilled water... If the trace elements in tap water will 'hurt' a battery, they should burst into flames upon contact with spring water! I realize that you guys probably already know this, but this is just in case....

The reason I brought it up is because my wife has this fish, see... This fish lives in a vase full of DISTILLED water, with a houseplant in it.. You guys know, the kind where the fish eats the plant to live, blah blah blah.. You guys have probably seen them, right? Anyway, she's had her fish for about 20 months, and he's great... She never even has to clean the vase! We know other people who have fish like this, and they seem to last about 6 mos, MAX... Their vases get REALLY CRAPPED UP looking (trace elements), and when asked what kind of water they use, they usually say 'spring water.' We always tell them to switch to distilled water instead, and you'd be surprised how many people ask, 'what's the difference?' Man, I'd hate to see someone ruin a battery thinking they would give go the 'extra mile' and give it the best water money could buy!

Good advice!!..Thanks!!...I'll have to tell my wife to use that water with her fish,...she has one of those too....the last one lasted a little less than a year like you said,....she bought a new one a week ago.

Of course,....she blames the cloudy "crapped up" water on too much feeding, so she probably starved the damn thing to death. LOL (Every time I fed it, it ate like Mini at a free Crab leg buffet!!) I'll buy her a gallon of distilled water and tell her to use that!!

Mac

Back