Speak English Please

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Freeman

Reaction score
OK, I DO NOT WANT to start a urinary olympic match (I still love that saying) but if you can not read, understand or speak english how do you get a job working with the general public here in America. The young lady at mcdonalds today could not sell me a cup because she did not understand that all I wanted was a large soda to go?:unsure:

BF

:lol::lol::lol:

I used to work as a night manager for Rite Aid pharmacy. One night, my cashier calls me frantically to the front of the store. "Glennnnnnn!!!!!!! I don't know exactly what this lady wants, but I'm sure that "I" can't help her!" she said, sounding extremely flustered. So I asked this lady what she wanted (found out later she was from Argentina). She said, slowly, so that I could hear her pronounciation: "Ah em looookin for some hoooh peeenus". I nearly fell on the floor. After about five minutes of coaxing the words out of her by playing a modified game of charades, I was able to determine she was "looking for some hot peanuts" (that her sister had bought in our store the day prior) - a product I was GLAD to get for her, just as long as it wasn't the other thing she was asking for. :lol::lol::lol:

Language barriers... ain't they a b****! :p

All the best,

Glenn

This is going to get only worse. I do happen to speak spanish, but I still get ticked when lazy people don't even try to make the effort to learn english. I learned what I did to respect the language of the places where I visit, much less live. But on the Mcdonalds deal this was not the counter person's fault, why would a manager put a non-english speaking person dealing with english speaking customers?

"why would a manager put a non-english speaking person dealing with english speaking customers?"

....."Afirmative Action"..... :angry::angry::angry:

All the best,

Glenn

"why would a manager put a non-english speaking person dealing with english speaking customers?"

I'll tell you another reason... they can't hire much better for the minumum wages with no bennies part-time kind of jobs they offer. I wonder sometimes how some of them understand enough English to enter the order into the computer.

Harpo

Ok, Bruce, here is the spanish lesson for the day. Tomorrow when you go to McDonalds, say:

Quero una bebida grande, por favor. You'll have to tell them what flavor, it is not language specific.

There is a new Burger place up the street from called Three Brothers or Five Brothers or something like that and it's supposed to be known for these great hamburgers and if anyone here knows Ocean City, MD there is a place on the boardwalk called Thrasher's French Fries.

They are GREAT fries and this hamburger place advertises as having fries just like Thrasher's. The burger's are ordinary and the fries are years away from Thrasher's but now to the point.:lol: The girl at the counter and the only person in the place except for whomever was cooking, could not take my order. She resorted to a piece of cardboard someone had made up for her with symbols as to what you could have. So, she would point to the top burger and I would have to say no. Then she would point to the second burger and I would have to say no. This went on for about ten minutes before I said I was sorry and just left. Nancy was angry with me but she wouldn't try to order. It was ridiculous.

Uncle Billy

Back