Single axle trailers?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnpete

Reaction score
How many run around with a 20ft boat on a single axle trailer? Found 2 different Nitro 898's on single axle trailers. If I were not going to tow it much. I guess that would work. But will tow it a lot, plus behind a truck and camper.
20220301_152539.jpg

So thinking with that 6000+ lb camper in on the truck. The tandem trailer might tow better.

Anyone else towing a 20ft boat with a single axle trailer? With a load like this or no load? I have a 4ft stinger from the truck hitch. To get to the back of the Truck camper. So I feel that a tandem might not only tow better. But have less weight on that hitch?

This is the boat and trailer nx898
2008Nitro.jpg

Here's what sucks about single axle trailers where I'm from. Number one, if you get a flat you need to drive on it until you find a place to pull over. Two, muddy lake banks with bad ramps, once you load the boat up the tires have sunk in the mud and you are pulling it out of a hole. Many lakes around here you need a 4x4 to get even light boats out. Tandems ride smoother and straighter on crappy roads, which Minn. specializes in.

For safety and muddy banks, yep, 2 axles is superior. But here are some points for single axles:

Lighter weight, less cost up front, less rolling resistance, easier tight turns, and you have to replace half as many tires when it is time for new ones. Also, two fewer bearings to grease and re-pack, and finally, possibly a mathematically lower chance of a flat. (2 tires vs 4).

I have had both. The only flat I ever had was on a dual axle, which has more to do with luck than anything else. It was because I was on VERY old and cracked tires pulling home a used boat I had purchased. That said, I was glad I had a dual axle at that moment, for sure!

Latest posts

Back