Since we're all talking props lately...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Johansen

Reaction score
I have a 1993 190DC with a 150 Evinrude. The prop I got the boat with is a 27 pitch 4 blade SS Shooter.

I don't really have any problems with it except for it's inability for a holeshot, but in hindsight it's probably extending the life of my transom.

The question I have is whether or not you guys would think that pitching down a little would make much difference or would it take a drastic jump to notice a difference in the holeshot.

My main reason for asking is because my 10 yr old son is eventually going to want me to pull him around the lake on some sort of board or ski one day and I want to be ready for that day. Also it's cold up here in Canada this time of year and I've got nothing better to do than think about boating!

Thanks, in advance!

Steve

Are you in the recommended RPM range at WOT for your outfit?

I think I have some room to spare at the high end. Full speed is around 6000 rpm but it takes forever to get going that fast (70mph). I thought these motors were OK around 6500 rpm but I could be wrong.

I would rather max out at around 60 and pick up a little holeshot if I could as well as get up to max speed quicker. The lakes I regularly fish are quite small so top speed isn't a big concern.

I know one day I will need a spare/backup prop so I was just throwing this idea out there. There are no used props around here in the high pitch range to try around here so that idea is out the window.

Thanks!

The recommended rpm range for that motor is 5000 - 5700 rpm. I think maybe your tach is wrong? Most rigs are running 24 or 25P.

Maybe the tach is reading a couple hundred rpm out but I'm pretty sure it was at or near 6000 at WOT. I'll have to check next time out.

The speedo showed 68MPH with myself, a friend and the previous owner during a test drive and he told me that by himself with not much of anything else in the boat he had it at 72 MPH. I understand that the speedo could be out...

When I installed a GPS I compared the speed readouts on it and the speedo and they were spot on (within 2 mph) up to 50 mph and then maybe 3-4 MPH out at 65 MPH, so yeah, maybe it WON'T do 70 MPH but the speedo says it does and the GPS says it's doing 68 MPH so it's close if it's not there. The boat's too sketchy at those speeds anyways, as I rarely take it over 60. That's kinda my point. It takes FOREVER to get the last 10 MPH out of it so I was thinking that if it topped out at 60 and gave me more of a holeshot it might serve me better.

Ok something is not right here! I had a pumped 175 merc (about 200 hp) on a 363 Ranger and everything was blueprinted (hull, prop etc) pushing a hi pro 4 blade at 71 GPS at 6000 rpm. That moto can't be stock or is relabled.

Stock motor not relabled.

Like I said the specs might be a tad off, but not much I wouldn't think.

The only other thing is what is the elevation you are at? I'm at sea-level which is basically the best air you're going to get, so if you've got thinner air where you are that could make a difference. What pitch on your prop? 27 on mine.

sounds like you or somebody might have changed gear ratios in lower unit or replaced it. that would effect the prop pitch and speed also hole shot

Latest posts

Back