2012 nitro z7 jack plate and prop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jchandler7409

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought a 2012 nitro z7 with a 150 pro xs. It came with a 24 pitch prop. It struggles to get to 5000 rpms and on good day I'm only getting 49 mph out of it. And water it spraying out of the side in front of the console like the boat isn't coming out if the water with it trimmed up. I borrowed my buddies 22 pitch prop today and tried it. It got the rpms up to 5400 and came out the hole better but it didn't pick up any speed and didn't help it lift the front up anymore. I e ordered some trim extenders for it to try. But I'm wondering if the motor isn't up too high. It's in the 2nd hole from the top. Anybody else have thus problem and a fix for it? I've been told this boat should run 60 mph. Will a jack plate help this problem?

Hey guys I bought a 2012 nitro z7 with a 150 pro xs. It came with a 24 pitch prop. It struggles to get to 5000 rpms and on good day I'm only getting 49 mph out of it. And water it spraying out of the side in front of the console like the boat isn't coming out if the water with it trimmed up. I borrowed my buddies 22 pitch prop today and tried it. It got the rpms up to 5400 and came out the hole better but it didn't pick up any speed and didn't help it lift the front up anymore. I e ordered some trim extenders for it to try. But I'm wondering if the motor isn't up too high. It's in the 2nd hole from the top. Anybody else have thus problem and a fix for it? I've been told this boat should run 60 mph. Will a jack plate help this problem?
There are 2012 year models that have the hull "hook" deformation. The hull may not be flat (hooked) causing extra drag at speed. You will need a credible fiberglass repair shop to evaluate the issue and how sever it is. It's not an easy or inexpensive fix if this is the problem. What you describe makes me think this may be the issue.. you can line up a good straight edge along the back portion of the hull bottom and maybe see the issue. Google this issue (Nitro hull hook) and you will find a good deal off information on this subject. I believe it was a few of 2009 - 2012 boats that suffered this deformation of the hull..

There are 2012 year models that have the hull "hook" deformation. The hull may not be flat (hooked) causing extra drag at speed. You will need a credible fiberglass repair shop to evaluate the issue and how sever it is. It's not an easy or inexpensive fix if this is the problem. What you describe makes me think this may be the issue.. you can line up a good straight edge along the back portion of the hull bottom and maybe see the issue. Google this issue (Nitro hull hook) and you will find a good deal off information on this subject. I believe it was a few of 2009 - 2012 boats that suffered this deformation of the hull..
Thanks for the info. I thought I got a good deal on it but I guess I see why now lol. I did some research on it before I bought it but I missed the hooked hull problems. Not the end of the world because I don't run it alot where we fish. Can't catch fish at 50.mph anyway lol.

Thanks for the info. I thought I got a good deal on it but I guess I see why now lol. I did some research on it before I bought it but I missed the hooked hull problems. Not the end of the world because I don't run it alot where we fish. Can't catch fish at 50.mph anyway lol.
Yeah, I'm sorry that may have happended to you. It's possible that the previous owner may not have even realized the problem. There are plenty of folks boating that are not interested in speed. If you start out with that issue it might never be suspect. After reading a little more about it, I see that it can be repaired by filling the curve gap to flat and then re-fiberglassing the bottom. Costly and difficult to accomplish on your own.

Latest posts

Back