Since the Rally's coming...Boat Covers/Trailering???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L.

Reaction score
I've seen lots of boat covers/and travel boat covers ruined by poor installation before using them

on trips. In the past two years since I've had my Tracker, I've never used my cover when trailering

my boat, even on a 10 hour trip with no hotel stops.

Question....Do you use your cover when trailering your boat or not???? Pro's and cons..........

Mike L.

Yes I do. I made my own cover at work and it fits like a glove. I just make sure to tighen it up (especially the straps) and make sure it's waxed and all....Never seen a problem doing that. I know alot of guys that won't, but I have no problems trailering with the tarp on.

Pierre

Whenever I am traveling more than 3 hours or on the interstates I cover my boat. I make sure the boat gunnels are waxed before the trip and snug the cover down fairly tight. If I think I see the cover getting loose I stop and check before it can rub the glass. I was amazed at the increase in gas mileage on a long trip when the boat is covered, also it is amazing how much road dirt it keeps out of the boat.

To tow with your cover on, the cover must fit the boat very well. I don't have a travel cover but a mooring cover. I bring the cover with me and button things up in the evening. A well fitting travel cover can be great for a long wet ride.

If it's raining when I leave, it's covered.

Travel of more than 3 hours, it's covered.

I travel with my Tracker cover. Longest trip has been nine hours. I just check it throughout the trip to make sure its tight. I also wrap a towel around the trolling motor prop and put a piece of pipe insulation on the windshield. These two things keep the cover from getting ripped into. Otherwise you will have holes in your cover after the first season. I have done this with my Pro Deep V16 and did it with my Pro-Angler when I had it.

Mike

I usually don't use my cover when trailering,...but I probably will for the trip to NY,....need to make sure it's tight and fits perfect though,...I have a new cover and it's never been on the boat!! If it's going to be a really nice day though I may just pull it w/o the cover.....i won't decide until 10mins before i leave!! LOL

Mac

I will bring the cover though to use in the parking lot at the motel!!

I use my Tracker custom cover when trailering. Towed twice without it, once in sun and once in the rain, and I'll NEVER do that again if its gonna rain. It took too long to dry out and clean the road scum off of everything.

The cover that I have fits very well, except that it rubbed the shine off the motor cowling where there the cover touches. I cut to length some pieces of foam pipe insulation, and then cut a slice down one side, to place over the windshields. I also cut up a cheap sleeping bag pad (1/4" stiff foam), to place in spots where the sharp edges of the boat come into contact with the cover. I also retract (or even disconnect) my trolling-motor so that the propeller blades don't come into contact with the cover. Mike W, that's a great idea about using a towel.

Once I'm on the road, I check the cover at each stop and tighten up any straps that have come loose. I found that if you tighten the strap with the tag end in a knot underneath the buckle, it doesn't come loose. Take the tag end, loop it back around the main strap and then back through itself. Pull UP to snug it up against the buckle. If the cover gets wet, it will need to be snugged down a bit more because it expands.

To me, the cover is worth using when I tow. I store the boat in the garage, so I don't have to use it as a mooring/storage cover. If it only lasts two or three seasons.

The biggest con in using a cover is that you have to store it dry or it will mildew. Fining a place to spread it out to dry can be a hassle.

My second boat was a 15' Deep V, It was nothing special and I bought it from my friend. He had a custom cover made for it. He used it ( I continued as he did) in all weather conditions for transport and on all trips. It was the best thing since sliced white bread. When I got my PT 175 in 98', it went to the custom cover shop in a few days. I got a real deal at $225. I keep it covered even when it is in my garage (unless I was fishing in weather then I let it dry out first). No dust and I'm always ready to go fishing...

I bought the Tracker Cover that matches my boat and It's been worth every penney. I don't have a garage so I store my boat outside. I used the cover all winter without a problem. I've towed with it to VT and back with no problems. Being made for my boat it is double reinforced in all the high friction areas (console, TM, Transom corners,etc.)

When trailering I reccomend twisting the straps a few times. This reduces wind vibration. Have you ever whistled with a blade of grass between your thumbs?? Twist the straps and that doesn't happen and they won't loosen up.

Marke

Latest posts

Back