side imaging

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene B

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a side imaging fishfinder next week and wanted some feedback first. I'd like a unit for the console that has a gps eventually but I was thinking one up front where I'm actually fishing would be better. They seem to only be available with gps though. Would I be wasting my money on one for the bow?

Any feedback on the down imaging units?

Gene

I just bought a HumminBird 798 CiSI for my bow. I have an HB998 CiSI on the console.

The problem with having only one on the console is that you have to turn it around when you're on the bow fishing if you want to use the side/down imaging or the sonar, and then turn it back when cruising to another spot. Inconvenient, redundant, pain in the neck after a whole day on the water.

The 798 and some other models have an internal GPS antenna. If you are fishing from the bow (with the transducer attached to the trolling motor), when you pass over interesting or productive structure, you can mark it immediately. The GPS saves the created waypoint which allows you to return to that exact spot another time; no guesswork/deadreckoning.

The side imaging is used basically for "scouting" (usally from the console)to scan a large area for potentially productive areas of structure. I use the down imaging on a split screen with the sonar to pinpoint the exact nature of any structure I pass over while fishihing from the bow. Adjusted just right, the DI will give you a photo quality representation of the image on the sonar even down to individual branches of a brush pile or blow-down.

There are a number of methods to share waypoints between two units so that you can effectively use the GPS on either unit to return to productive spots that you have marked at different times on one unit or the other.

If you do purchase a unit with an external antenna, the accepted train of thought is to mount the antenna as close to the loaction of the transducer as possible. This provides a more accurate marking of waypoints. If you are on the bow, and your transducer is on the transom you are gonna have (at least)16ft of offset by default. Keep in mind, that may require drilling holes in the deck of your boat.

To bring all of this together; if you are serious about catching more fish, spend the money. If you want GPS, but don't want to shell out $700+, there are units that are less expensive that have the GPS/Sonar Combos but no DI/SI.

Hope this helps.:)

Side imaging works best when in motion, 2-4 mph approximately. That's why I am only putting side imaging at the console for cruising and finding structure. Once I do, I then will have a down imaging only unit up front to pick it apart.

I am putting a 798 at the console with a map chip.

Up front I am using a 597. I'd like a 998 at the console but it's out of my price range.

I wondered about putting just a down imaging unit on the bow. One of the things I like to do is chase crappie in the fall. If I can stay with the shcool, I can sometimes load up in a short time. I thought maybe a SI unit would help me stay with them while on the trolling motor. Theres a 798 SI in the flyer, but it's not an HD unit. Should I wait to get the HD?

Gene

Rob, Side Imaging works even better at trolling motor speeds while fishing once you learn how SI works and how to adjust the unit properly. I does very well a Zero speed. I use SI on the trolling motor just about exclusively because of the coverage it has. I basically sight fish all year using SI no matter what the depth and water color is.

I'll use 2D sonar occasionally for vertical presentations but that is about it.

I just use DI to confirm what 2D shows, but rarely even use that view.

Gene B.

The non-HD version is the newer version. I don't know the exact difference, but HB Greg told me that the HD version can be networked with ethernet while the non-HD version uses a networking accessory. Someone else(I think Wayne P.)posted that the non-HD is not compatible with Navionics Platinum. I see you are from MI, so you may be able to use the LakeMaster products, but they don't make them for TN., so I can't comment on that.

I bought the non-Hd version from Cabelas for $760 2 or 3 weeks ago.(the HD version was $1069) Shipping would have been $20, but I bought a head wrap for $8 and took advantage of a $0.01 shipping promo. I updated the software version this week with a download from HumminBird.

IMO SI is an excellent way to "chase" a school, or locate one suspended near structure. The 798 offers a split screen option that allows you to choose up to 4 screens displayed simultaneously.

Ooops! I meant to say that the non-HD is the *older* version.:rolleyes: HD is the newer version.:)

I bought the non-HD version, and plan to use MM cards to transfer waypoints between the two units I own.:cool:

I knew what you meant. :) I thought it sounded like a good way to follow a school, in theory at least.

The BPS website shows it as a discontinued item. If they are sold out when I get there it will be a moot point. The 798 is the only way I'll get a SI unit, this year anyway. I can't see spending over a grand for a unit. If it weren't for my rewards from the visa card and my gift cards I wouldn't even be looking at the 798. I may have to save them up for another year. :unsure:

Gene

Gene

I really like my HDS side scan. Will show you when we are up there if you want and wait till you see Neeley's setup!

Does it look like a mobile electronics display from his store? :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again when you come up. I'm hoping to see Mac and Mini this weekend.

Gene

Jeffery, explain the 4 simultaneous views you get with Humminbird units. I have 3 SI units and a 3-view is the most I have available and I have the latest software on all of them.

Are you counting the left and right SI as two views?

Wayne P., I may be mistaken, but running thru mine the other night after my upgrade I thought I was able to get Sonar, GPS, DI and SI. I may have been seeing Rt.& Lft. SI as two views. It was dusk, cold and I was in the driveway. I'm taking the boat out tomorrow, so let me get back to you on that.:huh:

Once again, Wayne p. is correct.:rolleyes: Iwas looking at the SI screen and seeing either side as a split screen. As Maxwell Smart would say, "Sorry about that!":D

Latest posts

Back