Shaft slippage in trolling motor mount

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Whritenour

Reaction score
I have a Motorguide 70# foot controlled trolling motor on my '06 482. At least every hour or so while fishing I have to loosen the shaft mounting bolt and slide the motor up as it has slid down - sometimes all the way to the head. I've been told the rubber grommets in the shaft mount may be old/worn, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I've wrapped medical tape (has some ruffage on the outside) on the shaft and then placed the mount over it, but it will still slide down. Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you overcome it? Thanks for your replies.

There is probably a better fix but I had the same problem on an older model MGuide and ended up putting a hose clamp on...what a pain and ya needed to keep a phillips head screw driver up front.....finally got rid of both...good luck

ssullivan1 had a similar issue (saw it first hand). He contacted MG and got an "upgrade kit." I believe eventually he upgraded to a different motor altogether.

In researching the internet, I found where several people had experienced similar if not identical problem. One said the "upgrade kit" was essentially just a new set of rubber grommets that did not solve the problem. Several others had the same advice as rtlgator - they put a piece of rubber hose at the point they wanted the shaft to stop and secured it with a hose clamp.......guess I'll do that until the motor gives up the ghost or needs some sort of repair and then buy Minnkota......

Latest posts

Back