Trolling Motor Plugs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gregan

Reaction score
I currently have a motorguide 12/24 trolling motor with a 36 " shaft and gator mount. I am looking a buying a new motorguide trolling motor but the minimum shaft length for 12/24 is 45 " and there are 3 wires. The current motor has a 4 prong plug. Does a gator mount hold a 45" shaft and can I hook a 3 wire motor to a 4 prong plug. also it looks as though the recessed foot pedal is a different design. Hopefully the new foot pedal fits into the current recess box.

I can't comment on the 45" shaft but you can certainly wire a 3 wire motor to a 4 prong plug. Find the ground then test which prong is 12V and which is 24V. Then you can place the wires accordingly.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the reply. I actually made some phone calls to motor guide and discovered that the solution was simple. Red to red and black to black and just disregard the other wires ... also was told there are no ground wires on new motor guide trolling motors. The four prong plug had a white wire that went to a jumper bar which connected to another red wire. That other red wire was for twelve volt. I was also unaweare that the new trolling motors are either strictly 24 volt or 12 volt ... there is no longer any combined 12/24. Thanks again for the reply. Larry G.

Larry, good post with the wiring info. And, especially the heads up on the 12/24 status.
Thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back