Trolling motor information needed. HELP??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I bought a 2003 185 sport F&S and the trolling motor has long been removed. Can anyone tell me what is standard thrust and shaft length needed for this boat?
Boat has two round rubber mounts on it, looks like an old style of quick mounting and dismounting, do those need to be removed or do they still make a compatible mounting trolling motor that will fit.
Thanks for your help,
Tom

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 42
BOW TO WATERLINERECOMMENDED SHAFT LENGTH
16" - 22"42" - 45"
22" - 28"48" - 52"
28" - 34"54" - 62"
34" - 44"72"

I would certainly go with a 24V, 80lb thrust on this boat. This boat would be good (IMO) with the 52" shaft. unless you are considering an older Troll motor that might fit your quick release plate mechanism, as an option, I would plan on replacing the mounting hardware and the detachment plate.
Remember that with a 24V motor you must have two, 12V batteries to get power.

TomT - I replaced the TM on my 2005 F&S last winter went with a MK Terrova 80lb thrust. Can't remember shaft length but it is over 50 inches. Sounds like I had a similar set up though my round mounts were not rubber they were metal. Good Luck feel free to ask if you have any questions about the process.

-Scrooge

Attachments

• IMG_6005.JPG
    IMG_6005.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 35
Are the rubber mounts holes kinda keyhole shaped with the rear one having a threaded hole. Had a 2000 Glastron ski and fish with a Motorguide trolling motor that had those kind of mounts. Drop it in and slide forward and tighten one screw. It was a 12 volt, 65 pound thrust I believe.

Are the rubber mounts holes kinda keyhole shaped with the rear one having a threaded hole. Had a 2000 Glastron ski and fish with a Motorguide trolling motor that had those kind of mounts. Drop it in and slide forward and tighten one screw. It was a 12 volt, 65 pound thrust I believe.
Yes, they are round hard rubber with a keyhole type locking system. Looks like you set it in and push forward to lock in place.

TomT - I replaced the TM on my 2005 F&S last winter went with a MK Terrova 80lb thrust. Can't remember shaft length but it is over 50 inches. Sounds like I had a similar set up though my round mounts were not rubber they were metal. Good Luck feel free to ask if you have any questions about the process.

-Scrooge
How does the 80# perform? I think I am going to go with a MK with I pilot. It looks to me like a 48" would be long enough. I am using my boat in the Gulf of Mexico around Clearwater to Tarpon Springs, Fla.

How does the 80# perform? I think I am going to go with a MK with I pilot. It looks to me like a 48" would be long enough. I am using my boat in the Gulf of Mexico around Clearwater to Tarpon Springs, Fla.
The 80 with ipilot is a dream compared to what I used to have. I see people on here and other sites posting about how no less than a 112lb thrust will do. I fished for 15 years with a 48lb before moving up to the 80Terrova. The 48" shaft will be fine, my old TM was 48 and I never had issues, I went longer with the Terrova because that was the shortest the dealer had in stock

Attachments

• IMG_6447.jpg
    IMG_6447.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 31
double checking, you have 3 batteries total? 2 batteries dedicated for the trolling motor only is required for a 24v motor
I have 3 batteries in the boat, set up two for Trolling motor and one for Mercury 115 4 stroke.
double checking, you have 3 batteries total? 2 batteries dedicated for the trolling motor only is required for a 24v motor
Yes Sir, I have 3 batteries. 2 for trolling, 1 strictly for motor.

The 80 with ipilot is a dream compared to what I used to have. I see people on here and other sites posting about how no less than a 112lb thrust will do. I fished for 15 years with a 48lb before moving up to the 80Terrova. The 48" shaft will be fine, my old TM was 48 and I never had issues, I went longer with the Terrova because that was the shortest the dealer had in stock
I found a 12V-55lb I-pilot with 48" shaft for 1K. Its practically new, just worried if the 55# would be enough to use spot lock without burning down the battery quickly.

I found a 12V-55lb I-pilot with 48" shaft for 1K. Its practically new, just worried if the 55# would be enough to use spot lock without burning down the battery quickly.
Sorry - I can't help there my old 12V TM did not have spotlock so I can't compare it to my current situation as for battery life I can tell you we had the same set up, 2 batteries wired in parallel and never ran low on juice even after 8-10 hours of fishing, but again that was no Spotlock just foot on the pedal all day long - good luck

I have a 2007 189 Sport and replaced my stock 12V 45 lb. TM with a Motorguide Xi5 80 lb 24V with 45" shaft. Love the motor, but wish the shaft was longer, as it breaks the surface in really rough water. I had Bass Pro build a platform for the motor and trashed the old mounting plate, I also like the quick release bracket that MG sells. The newer motors have to be on the very tip of the bow to work correctly.

Attachments

• xi5.jpg
    xi5.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 19
I have a 2007 189 Sport and replaced my stock 12V 45 lb. TM with a Motorguide Xi5 80 lb 24V with 45" shaft. Love the motor, but wish the shaft was longer, as it breaks the surface in really rough water. I had Bass Pro build a platform for the motor and trashed the old mounting plate, I also like the quick release bracket that MG sells. The newer motors have to be on the very tip of the bow to work correctly.

-Scrooge
I got the rear old mount off putting my hand and pliers through the front panel. How do you reach the nuts on the front, I need about a 4 foot arm> I tried prying up on the mount to put pressure on the nuts to no avail. I may have to cut the bolts

When I replaced mine, I had a 15 year old neighbor kid do the inside work. Find one with long, skinny arms.

I’ve had to cut many of them. You’ll get the leftovers out . Do it

When I replaced mine, I had a 15 year old neighbor kid do the inside work. Find one with long, skinny arms.
I got it off, I enlarged the front plate hole just big enough to get a arm in and the plate still cover it. Only had to cut the very front screw head off. Already mounted my new Minn Kota I-pilot. The 48" shaft is perfect for the 185 F&S.

Latest posts

Back