serial number secret?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedog978

Reaction score
Ok, I'm curious about any reason to keep serial numbers (engine mainly), a secret. Many posts on here are asking questions about engine repairs etc., of 'our resident expert'. Often those questions are easier for him to answer with a serial number. Some email that info, others post it (as I have done). When I had a question about my repair I just posted the serial number in the post. I have also answered one recent post with a picture of my trailer ID information. That information could be read by anyone in a boat trailer parking lot. Just like your vehicle VIN clearly visible on your dash to the public. Or your boat ID stamped in or on a plate on the transom.

Is there any reason why my outboard serial number would be any different? What can anyone do with the serial number of my outboard?

Well for one thing the Serial Number Goblin will put a hex on your fishing!:lol:

I have no idea:unsure:

Nothing other than it is known EVERYWHERE that YOU own it and if anything might deter theft? There is no access by the public {at least to my knowledge} unless they work at a Dealership and can get into MercNet, where only motor history, and where it was bought from...i.e., address.

You get a little paranoid about giving out numbers after you find out someone was using your s.s. number:unsure:. I know there is probably nothing anyone can do with an outboard serial number but in this world today why chance it?

Hmmmm , Very interesting. With the technology that criminals have today this could be very interesting. So Bob your telling that there is a progrm called MercNet that people can look where i bought it and address and prob more info. So a theive could take that info and use it to get more and more info.. this could be a serious issue and thanks FIREDOG for telling the criminals about another way to steal ident. I am a car dealer and i know that with car faxes and auto checks you can get info about the car but no past owner address or name. Just an interesting subject

MercNet is only avaialbe through the Dealer network. If anyone is uncomfortable with posting serials....e-mail them instead...;)

Most criminals come within..... Just saying lol no pun intented Bob. I dont think its a problem we have to be worried about but it is an interesting subject.

My bank account was hacked recently but, the bank figures it was young kids with PC's that run "random" account codes and got me for $69 for time at a game website out in California. No real harm cuz the bank covered it but, had to get a new card anyway.

These days I don't think we can ever be too safe;)

You can steal my motor if you want,..it's running like a scalded dog and it's fully insured. I'll get a new one!! :wub:

.........this could be a serious issue and thanks FIREDOG for telling the criminals about another way to steal ident. I am a car dealer and i know that with car faxes and auto checks you can get info about the car but no past owner address or name. Just an interesting subject

greg,

I doubt very much that I informed any criminals of another way to "steal ident." I also take ALL RECOMMENDED PRECAUTIONS WITH REGARD TO PERSONAL INFORMATION, as otherwise noted to do by experts. How many people that 'have cause' to know the serial number of my OBM do you think are out there? I'd guess after purchase and maintenance and loan people, title people, manufacturer employees when I registered as the owner, DNR people and, parts guys that have looked up parts for me in 11 years of ownership that it numbers in the hundreds OR MORE already! I'd be more concerned about disgruntled employees of any of those mentioned above. That's IF ANYONE COULD ACTUALLY USE THE INFO, if they got it from one of those.

And, you're right IT IS AN "INTERESTING SUBJECT". And, I'll assume I am the first to bring it up. Glad there's so much interest in it. Either way, now people will still make up their mind as to how to go about dissemenating it. Again though, wouldn't the serial numbers affixed to my trailer and boat hull for all to see be just as informative (to a would be criminal)?

This is a big issue with musical instruments. Thieves forge phony bills of sale for guitars and other instruments and claim they were stolen.

If the real owner doesn't have an original bill of sale with their name and the serial number, some states will take it away and give it to the thief.

Same could happen with a boat trailer or motor I suppose.

greg, it's all good. My feelings never get hurt. :)

I'll be wetting a line soon. I just finished all of the spring maintenance on my boat and trailer today.

Or ........ is it someone's who has the serial numbers? :eek:

It is a good subject to discuss. Seems we're all getting some good info out of it.

p.s. I was going to make a 'JOKE' about filing the serial numbers off like I do my g**ns but, it never comes across as meant and I don't want anyone to take me serious. :wacko:

Back