Senko, Senko, Senko????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
So, I can admit, that I have never used a Senko. I just tried Carolina rigging for the first time yesterday and I like it. I used to use Culprit worms, but I would like to find a floating kind with the C. rig. Who makes nice Senkos, Lizards, and worms that float to make the C. rig a bit more snazzy?

What you're looking for are Cyberflexx soft plastics made by both Strike King and Terminator. They make a wide varity of shapes and colors. Some people don't like these baits because they have a few inherent problems like sticking to theirselves. Check the package closely because some of the newer ones are loaded with salt so they will sink.

One of my favorite techniques with the floating baits is to Texas rig a a floating craw with as light of hook as possible and enough weight to keep it on the bottom. Don't peg your weight so the craw will float up off the weight and then pull it back down like an escaping crawdaddy. Don't over work it. You want it to just float up a couple of inchs at the most. It works.

Harpo

Harpo -

I've never tried that but it sounds very interesting.

What colors do you use?

me!

Other than the cyberflex baits, virtually none of the other floating soft plastics, actually float. They all sink, albeit slowly, unless you put some type of 'floating device' into the worm.

If you really want it to float, then try a cyberflex. I'm not sure I'd try using a senko on a c-rig, simply because I don't think you'd get much use from it, before it's gone. Just MHO.

Tex

The Tiki/Bamboo Stick brand sinks a lot slower than the "True" Senko, try them out.

But I agree with Tex, the best way to fish a Senko would be weightless T-Rigged. From my own use the hits mostly come on the initial fall of the Senko.

Oh and I think remember seeing in BPS that there brand of Lizard floats.

Tex is right. I don't think a Senko is the right bait for c-rig either. Strike King does make a Cyberflexx Senko type bait called Zero. It is salt impregnated so it sinks. The whole idea of the Senko is that IT SINKS, hence the name Senko. If it floated it would be called a Floato. If you want the Senko shape for c-rigging the Zero would probably suffice and last longer.

Staci, I seem to do best with either the chartruse or watermelon colors. I'll dip the claws in some red Spike-it. I've read some posts that say that Spike-it doesn't work on Cyberflexx but that has not been my experiance.

Harpo

Harpo,

Is "Spike-it" an attractant or a dye? I have never really used any type of attractants when fishing soft plastics, maybe I should give it a try. What brand/type do you use.

Do you find the attractant makes a difference?

Chris

One more thought on the Senko. The first time I fished a Senko I had no idea how to fish them so I fished them like a Sluggo. I would let it sink a little and then jerk it around. I caught some fish with it. Later I read some articles on the subject that said, "NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, DO NOT OVER WORK THE SENKO. JUST LET IT SINK AND SIT THERE TILL YOU DIE OF BOREDOM". I never caught another fish on them. Now I very seldom even tie one on.....well, sometimes I do tie one on but I don't fish Senkos very much anymore.

Harpo

CJL, Spike-it is a dye. It comes in about 5 or 6 colors but I only use the red and chartruse. It is garlic sented but I don't think that is it biggest asset. I probably use the chartruse the most. I like to dip the tail of a worm in it or recently I had luck with a junebug color tube with just the very tip of the tails dipped into the chartruse Spike-it. Makes it look like a little Bluegill wandering around lookin' for his mommy.

DON'T GET IT ON YOUR CARPET!!!!

Harpo

p.s. Sorry, you asked about attractant. Yes, I do believe it helps. I like Kick n' Bass galic flavor. I use it on almost everything except real fast moving baits like Rattletraps. I have really seen a differance in using it and getting a strike after the first one or two casts.

Yeah, I think I am going to try some of that stuff, the guy who won my last tourney was using a Berkley power worm in black with a chartruse tail. HMM. I like the idea of JuneBug with chartruse tips, maybe on a Senko!. I will look for that stuff tommorrow since it's goin to rain all day. I will look for it at Cabelas in PA. HAVTA leave the plastic home or I'll over spend!

As far as the Tube goes, if you don't mind sharing since I have not used them much - Do you cast and let it drop and sit, or do you work it back to the boat like a jig?

Oops looks like I posted to soon, you use the attractant on hard plastics as well? Like a jerkbait? If it does improve the bait I will defenitly use on my Rapalas, never really thought it would help.

Harpo, you and I need to get out. I will fish a senko in all conditions and will usually get bit on them. There is a knack or style to fishing them. Letting them lie on the bottom won't catch you any fish but overworking them is also a no-no. Ask Bill Barham, KB, Carlos......They are the most productive plastic in my aresnal. I c-rig them, drop shot them, Tex-rig them, Wacky rig them, nose hook them, and so on. I don't ever weight them unless on a c-rig.

TOXIC

Toxic,

Do you ever dye your Senkos?

and do you use the bigger sizes like 6" or bigger.

I have been thinking if I up the size I may catch less fish but bigger ones, what do you think?

Chris, I think the smelly stuff can do no harm on anything. Just imagine the bass checking out you jerk bait and not sure she want to eat it or not. She takes a little whiff and it smells like gasoline and Irish Spring. Are you going to form a personal relationship with that fish? I don't think so. I don't think it's such an issue on reaction baits because the bass is hitting that out of an emotion like anger or fear (if fish really feel emotions). Something like a worm or jig or even a hard jerkbait they may study for awhile before making up their little mind. I use it on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits too. I think it leaves a scent trail.

About tubes. I'm on tubes like Toxic is on Senkos. If I had to go to only one bait I would definatly pick tubes. While most guys will Texas rig their tubes with a bullet weight on the front, I like to use the tube weights that go up inside the tube. Both BPS and Lindy make them, with and without rattles. I don't like the jighead type tube hooks. The differance is; with the weight on the outside the tube falls with it's head down like a crawdad. Sometimes that exactly what you want but in my opinion there are better crawdad imatations than tubebaits. With the weight inside the tube you get a more horizontal and spiral fall like a little fishy. You can let them fall all the way to the bottom and hop them along like a fish feeding off the bottom or swim them erraticly around weeds or timber. I usually pitch them with my big ol' 7'6" flipping stick.

Toxic, I can think of nothing I'd rather do than go fishing with you and take some Senko lessions. Really my main problem with them is the wind. If I cast the Senko out there and want it to sink in one spot the wind will have moved me 12 or 15 feet back by the time it hits the bottom. I don't fish flukes very much for the same reason. I do like Sluggos though.

Harpo

I used Kick-N-Bass for the past year or so. I've now switched to Megastrike on my soft plastics. I need to remind myself to apply it more often.

I like both the texture and how it goes on. I never liked the mess with Kick-N-Bass, but it works.

Tex

I'd like to try that Megastrike but I can't find it anywhere. Is it really that much better than KNB?

Harpo

I had to order it via the web. I've been using the tube that I have open for well over a year. A little goes a long way.

I really like the way it leaves a 'slick surface' on the plastics. Also, I believe that it stays on very well. It's certainly powerful enough.

I bought three tubes (discount at buying 3), and could have easily done with just one. One of the things I like, is that I can very easily just put it in my pants/shorts pocket, and apply it very quickly when needed. Since it's a 'gel' like consistency, it gets pretty 'stiff' when cold, and certainly much more plyable when hot.

Even though I thought KNB was very good, I believe that Megastrike lasts longer, and it's certainly not as messy. After applying it (fingers), I then take the small amount of residue on my hands and rub it all over. I figure it helps mask the human scent, to some degree.

Tex

CJL, the standard senko is a 5" (9 series). You can get them fatter, skinnier, laminated etc., so I have never found a reason to dye them. I have a new color that is black with a glow in the dark chartruce tail....can't wait to try that one at night.

Harpo, tubes are my #2 bait......great minds think alike.

TOXIC

Back