Sealing the rub rail

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris Ratzlaff

Reaction score
I have at tracker targa 2000 and I noticed that the silicone just below the rub rail is looking kind of "iffy" like I don't know if it is sealing properly. Just wondering what to do?:eek: Tear it all out and start fresh? Or just go over it with another coat of silicone? What kind of silicone should I use? Also ultimately what would happen if I didn't do anything? Get water in my boat? Are there other "ugly" things that can happen if I don't do anything about it?:(:(

CR

CR - if you're going to attempt a fix, it's probably best to remove the old silicone as completely as you can and replace with a new bead of silicone. Something like 3M Marine Grade Silicon caulk will work well.

The way most boats are constructured, the top cap is mounted onto the hull with screws. The resultant seam is often not water tight on its own and that would explain the old caulk. If your bilge has water in it after a run, there's a leak somewhere and could easily be water getting past the old caulk through the seam. Not necessarily a big deal if your auto bilge pump works well and kicks in. Personally, I like a dry bilge and had to seal up the rear seam on the transom of my G3. I did this three years ago with 3M Marine caulk and its held well (and leak proof) ever since.

Back