Screw-in plugs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Snow

Reaction score
Okay, I've managed to break one and lose another. I'm talking about the screw-in bilge plugs that fiberglass boats have. On the one I didn't lose, the pig-tail came off. Surely there has to be a better plug that you can actually unscrew and let hang and trailer the thing without worrying about it disappearing.

I'm thinking about "designing" my own, but wondered if anyone else had this issue. The issue isn't so much that the plugs are $4.50 each, though 2 in under a year is absurd. It's more of getting TO the ramp, going to screw the plug in and having that sinking feeling. Oh, I bought two this time :)

Well, here's my thought. "Route" out a section of the part that affixes to the boat. Glue in some stainless steel wire and try to fill in any remaining void with silicon (I think half my boat IS silicon :) ). Screw it in. So, the s/s wire is between the hull and the plastic part that is affixed to the boat, and hopefully water-tight (minor concern :) ).

Now, with the other end of the s/s cable, make a loop and use a short s/s screw to screw the cable into the back of the actual plug (after cutting off the little rabbit ears that are going to break off anyway). Now, that little wire should handle a good 30+ pounds of pressure, which should take care of any trailering breakage.

Idea number two is the same for the plug, but attach the other end to a BIG doughnut washer that gets tossed into the bilge area.

Maybe I just overthink things like this. Of course, you must remember that I'm the same guy with THREE sets of keys to the boat with him -- 1 in the truck, 1 in the boat, and one on my truck's keychain. I went to the boat ramp without keys ONCE... ain't happening again :).

Mike,

I like the washer idea. Cheap and simple. I always screw the plug in before I leave the house and unscrew it for the ride home. I have not lost one yet, but I keep a spare one in the boat.

Bob G.

Hey JR, you never told me you almost sunk the boat!!!! HAHA really, I have one extra plug that you gave me. But I put my plug in at the ramp in case there is any water in the boat on the way to the ramp. I have my walk around routine for the ramp.

Carlos

Back