2010 Z7 Slowest Boat On The Water???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyd

Reaction score
Been out of fishing for about 15 years. Ran several nitros in the late 90's and was very happy. Found a Z7 used with a 200 MercXS and bought it last spring. Fished a few times in tourneys but hasn't been wet since May. Anyway, I'm not a beginner. Fished many divisionals, nationals twice and bassmaster opens for three years. After Nitro's I was offered a rep position for Ranger and did that for a few years before quitting fishing. Need help---this boat is the slowest one on the water. Wake squirts out even with the seats a WOT. 25 Fury on it now. Put a hydrolic jack on it before even running it. Runs about 62mhp gps at near sea level at best but occasionally hit the rev limiter I think because it would cut out a little. That's with full tourney load, 2 people, tackle, etc. Tach is off i'm sure as it jumped from around 5600 to around 6400. My wife says she can always tell it's me coming down the lake by my rooster tail. I've been trimming to get top speed. Water pressure is okay even trimmed up. I know i've got weight issues with tackle etc. and will try that when the water gets soft again. That should be soon. Any other ideas?

It just never is up on the pads. I see threads talking about chine walk. Wow, I wish I could get to that point. That would be the least of my worries!

If you are thouing a high roster tail, then lowering the motor might benefit your speed and lift of the boat. Your speed will only increase 2 to 3 miles per hour. The rpm gauge reading 5600 to 6400 sounds like you may have prop slippage. Lowering the motor may help that also.

I've seen demonstrations on YouTube about setting the trim & the height of the jack plate. According to them, the rooster tail shouldn't be any higher than your motor. One higher than that is wasted performance. If your prop cavitates when turning at speed, the jack plate is too high. If it does, you can trim down a bit before going into the turn.

Latest posts

Back