Do not buy this - replacement drain plug - updated

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I had purchased this (see pic below), and installed it. Here is the 'text' of the message sent to the company, by me today.

Some months ago, I ordered (and received) the much touted 'DPS', drain plug system. Sounded like a really good idea. I got it mounted with no real problem, then found I encountered several problems.

1) In a normal bass boat (fibreglass), there is a lot of 'stuff' in the bilge area. Generally the plug, is in the lowest, far back position. First problem encountered after mounting, no way for me to extend the cable straight back from the hole. Not unless I have arms about 6 feet long, and can reach back under my gas tank.

2) After getting it installed, and deciding to use it regardless (I did need a new plug), I had the 'turn knob' come off in my hand. Couldn't find any type of allen, hex or other type of wrench to fit the set screw. Well, I'll still use it as 'standard plug', even though I can't really take it in and out from inside the boat.

3) After taking my boat out today (generally sits on my boat lift - in my boat house), I put it in the driveway to get ready for my Club Tourney on another lake, this Saturday. Since it looks like rain, I put the cover on my boat and was going to take out the plug (from the outside as normal). Well, that is the straw that broke the camel's back. The part came apart in my hands (ie: the plastic moulding did not 'fill properly' and left gaps/holes in the fitting - it broke off). It simply broke off with very little pressure from my fingers.

It's now leaking, and I'll have to go to the parts house tomorrow, and see if I can get a standard plug to put back in it.

Your design leaves a lot to be desired, and the material/workmanship, has been less than adequate. I will no longer recommend it to anyone (please note, I frequent several fishing sites, and will make sure that I retract my former recommendation). For $29.95, I expected something that would give me a good serviceable product. I didn't anything really worth having.

drainplug.jpg

Would strongly suggest that you NOT buy one.

Tex

Sucks that you were the guinea pig but, thanks for the advice!;)

Wow, it looked good when I first saw it. Sorry you had problems.

I actually have an additional update. The owner of the company has responded very favorably to my email. So, I'll certainly give credit where credit is due. Still had some faulty pieces, but . . .

He's sending me a new unit; and also including a postage paid envelope so I can send back the broken parts so that he can do some analysis with the mfg on what may have gone wrong. He said that he's not seen/heard of this problem, and wants to get to the bottom of it.

Very respectful, and seems sincere. Still not sure that it's a usable fit for me the way everything is packed into the back of my boat, but on other boats - may still be a good deal (albeit the problems that I have had).

Tex

Got my replacement via priority mail - arrived on Saturday. Pretty good customer service. Will likely re-install, sometime this week.

Tex

Latest posts

Back