Scary boating accident on a lake local to me.

• Thread starter Jim B [URL]http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Check out the link i posted below. Its the only story i could find on the accident. A friend of mine who lives on the lake told me about the accident last night. Basically what happened was a 15yr old girl was towing her boyfriend on a keeboard without a spotter when she ran over a family in a inflatable that was fishing near shore. Luckly nobody was killed but people were hurt. From what i was told the family that got run over had a 9 month old in the boat with them and no pfd's even on the 9moth old. Pretty scary stuff. If my sister hadnt called me to help her finish her frog pong i was headed down there to fish too. I hope the police pu the patrol back on the lake now. In the end im just glad nobody was killed and the family that got run over will be ok.

I fish on this lake all the time and if its the boat my friend said it was i know right where its docked. I have had run-ins with the boats owner before. About two years ago they were buzzing around pullign skiers and blatantly ignoring the law( too close ot ssore and other boaters). After the 5th time they buddes about 15' off my boat i chased them down and had it out with the father. It didnt get to blows( could have for sure i was p#$$ed off) but after that he has respeced my boat every time ive been out there. This accudent is the third one i have heard of on that lake. All 3 have involves ski boats. One was a dog that got run over 10' from shore and antoehr involved a pontoon boat and a person died. I have noticed ski boat operators on other lakes act the same way, they run 10' off your bow or shore all day and not care about any rules or laws that are in place. Any one else notice this too?

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=96709

There is a lake here in Kentucky I will never go back to for that reason. We were fishing next to the shore in my boat and they came by so close the water from the skiers wake was close to spraying us. This was a small lake with everyone going every which way. It was a mess for sure. At least section off ski areas on small lakes.

Williamstown. I have only been there once. But seen enough for me.

What bugs me is when you are pulling your kids or friends behind the boat tubing or sking and the Jet skiers come out and run around 10 feet behind the skier or tube playing in the wake. These are, a lot of the times, young, inexeprienced, or intoxicated riders and I do not care to have them that close to my family with a high powered machine when my skier or tuber falls down.

And yes I have had many ski boats come too close. We have actually been swamped when a ski boat came to close across our stern when we were in a jon boat fishing. The boat went across our stern and the skier across the bow, they must have thought they were being cute. Luckily the skier held the rope high. We got another boat to tow us to shore slowly where we could pull the boat up on the bank and bail it out. I mean it completly swamped the boat, thankfully the flotation foam floated it.

try a window weight on 80 lbs test and big catfish rod when they come too close cast it at them one hit and they learn that weight puts one heck of a hole in ther boat

JD

Mike I dont want to sound like I fly off the handle and just use this tactic we usually give 3 verbal warnings before we hit them

JD

:) One ounce carolina rig beats a verbal warning everytime!

There is a lake (wallum pond) I like to fish in MA and there always cabin cruisers that have no respect for smaller boats I had two them sandwich me in one day. It sent my 165 in the air because of the wake they caused lucky I was able to slow down enough cause I knew they were not going to slow down. No damage except banged up knee. I caught up with them and cut them off to see if they liked it while gesturing with my middle finger, back at the dock I had more than a few works with him..

Jim,

i sqw that on the news the other night. it is hard to believe no was hurt more seriously.

i had a run in on bow lake last weekend, i was pulling my son and nephew in a two person tube. i was running a 19' bow rider. we were out in the open water and a boat kept coming closer and closer. so i stopped the boat and they just ran by at about 15/20mph. i threw my hands up in the air and they asked what the problem was. i explained the the whole safe passage rule. 150' from another vessel or shore. they appoligised and stated it was a new boat and there first trip on a lake.

it is amazing to me that there is not a liceinse for operating a boat. any nuckle head can by a boat and head out in open water. i can't wait untill they enforce the liciense system after 2006.

stay safe out there!!

GregD

Latest posts

Back