1999- 120hp Tracker/Force/Mercury

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Smoody

Reaction score
Hey all,
Bought my Nitro 185 Fish and Ski 12 years ago. Love my boat sometimes I hate my motor. It of course is old tech and parts are now kinda sometimes hard to find. But it is atank once it gets the bugs worked out.Would love to have a 4 stroke Honda or Merc. But at the price of the new motors this one is going to run until it blows. So in 12 years I still have 145lbs compression in all 4 cylinders. I have rebuild the fuel pump, big old Tillotson Carbs, all fuel lines, electric choke, new starter, termostat, impellors, and a set of reed valves. I also have switched them over to Chris Carson fiberglass reeds. Yup it smokes, it kinda idles funny one day and smooth the next. I use any oil I want in it as long it is a 50:1 ratio it likes it. I have used all of the gas additives and find it is not picky about those either. Maybe I am lucky or maybe I am fastitious about my engines care. It is very clean and always maintained at proper times.
I looked at buying a used 1999 150 hp Merc EFI which I also understand can be a tank as well. $4500. for the swap. Wow for a guy who has a very small boating budget I find it funny that you sell your rig and find a different motor and boat for the price of a used motor. Why is that??In the 12 years I have had the rig I have learned alot of outboard motor repair myself to keep things running. All in all I guess my old motor nobody likes has allowed me to keep boating for less than $3000. spent on repairs and maintenace in the time I have had it. Now then again it may blow up tomorrow but for now I feel pretty lucky. It still runs WOT at 44mph. Run 32mph all day at 4000rpm. Keep them Nitro's on the water friends and take care of the motors and the will run for a long time too. Beat and abuse um they will leave you high and dry and pocket book abused.
Bless ya all.
jim:D:):cool:Going fish tomorrow!!!!

I was going fishing until I messed up my wrist again. It'll be November before I can get it cut on to fix it (if then). Its been bothering me for couple years now but they'll give me a shot to temporarily hold me while the insurance company plays games with the docs. Yep, I've had a 93 Force 40 and the only thing that gave me headaches was the electrics until it was ALL eventually replaced (coils, stator, rectifier, switchbox, starter - EVERYTHING). But those old force motors were simple things to work on and easy on gas. I see you ain't far from me. Funny you should mention 4 stroke, as I went to BPS to get one for my 93 Nitro (has 1990 Johnson 115hp on it) but luck would have it, no 4 strokes in stock except what was already on new boats - so got a new boat LOL.

I was going fishing until I messed up my wrist again. It'll be November before I can get it cut on to fix it (if then). Its been bothering me for couple years now but they'll give me a shot to temporarily hold me while the insurance company plays games with the docs. Yep, I've had a 93 Force 40 and the only thing that gave me headaches was the electrics until it was ALL eventually replaced (coils, stator, rectifier, switchbox, starter - EVERYTHING). But those old force motors were simple things to work on and easy on gas. I see you ain't far from me. Funny you should mention 4 stroke, as I went to BPS to get one for my 93 Nitro (has 1990 Johnson 115hp on it) but luck would have it, no 4 strokes in stock except what was already on new boats - so got a new boat LOL.

Feel sorry you about wrist that is. Ya we ain't far hows the walleye fishing in old hickory or percy. Haven't been there in long time. too bad you had to buy a new boat I feel so sorry for you (HaHa:p:):rolleyes:)Have fun with it. On my way to Dale Hollow Now. Late start but great day to float as well. Colors are coming on strong on the leaves. Really pretty.
Jim

Use to live in Madison and fished Old Hickory every chance I got. I do miss that lake but haven't been on it now since 94. Percy I don't fish, too many crazy boat operators who will run over you in a heart beat (and drunk) not to mention boulders that sit just inches underwater and don't want my lower unit in a trash pile. But I do fish the creeks feeding Percy. Most of my fishing is around Joe Wheeler State Park in Rogersville AL or the coastal areas of Louisiana from Houma to Port Fourchon. I REALLY love the cajun food and the saltwater fishing. Use to live in Lafayette, Franklin, Abbeville, New Orleans when I was a deputy sheriff and private investigator in the early 80's. Didn't really fish saltwater until we got to Franklin and Abbeville and then I was HOOKED. Out of work for a year and a half, only had my 15ft bass boat. So set out trot lines in the morning in the inner marshes, then fish marsh openings during rising/falling tides for redfish, or go to the game wardens camp out on the bay and fish for flounder, throw cast net for shrimp. Come back in the late afternoon and check the trot line. Trade or sell the catfish for fuel, cash or trade for oysters/crabs. It was enough to pay rent etc and we ate pretty darn good.

Latest posts

Back