Savage 884 buzzer under dash going off.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water pump can be pumping but maybe not enough is coming out to keep the motor cool enough. It should be a strong stream of water coming out of the pee hole at idle. When was last time water pump was changed out? On my previous 150 optimax, If I pulled tubes during the summer, I always ended up replacing water pump in winter.

The fact that you say 2-3 minutes is about the right time for the motor to start getting hot enough to trip the alarm.
And spitting at idle is a good indicator that impeller is slipping. watch a few youtube videos on how to change the water pump and if you are mechanically incline, do it yourself or if you prefer to have an mechanic do it for you.

Its in the lake
If you don't know when the last time the motor was serviced you have to have a starting point. That being said you should have the whole water system done. That means not only the water pump impeller with both housings but both thermostats and the by pass diaphragm. Don't forget to change the lower unit gear lube and remove the prop and grease the shaft. Now when it's running at idle you should have about 5-10 lbs of pressure at the gauge and a got stream at the tell tail.

One time I drove my boat thru a mucky lake bottom and the water inlet sucked up a bunch of mud which blocked the hose leading to the spitting outlet,I had to take it all apart and clean it out so it ran freely. Another time the rubber hose grommet on the motor housing where the water stream pees out swelled almost shut,I drilled it out a little larger and then it ran ok.

If you don't know when the last time the motor was serviced you have to have a starting point.
Valid point. Instead of risking a breakdown on the water, be safe and know you changed the important stuff.
He didn't say if the boat was new to him or if he just noticed the alarm.

I have a buzzer going off under the console.
I replaced both thermostats. Water pump seems to be pumping. Water spraying out.
Any ideas?
I had the same thing. After trying everything I called a few marinas and then Mercury dealers. All said that it was likely the oil alarm and that it had gone bad since the oil was full and the motor was not overheating. The replacement would take 4-5 months to order. It was suggested and I just unplugged the alarm and keep an eye on the oil level. How to unplug the wire is on YouTube. It was located under the oil tank in the motor.
Valid point. Instead of risking a breakdown on the water, be safe and know you changed the important stuff.
He didn't say if the boat was new to him or if he just noticed the alarm.

Latest posts

Back