Santee Cooper

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Musto2

Reaction score

Hello everyone,

Havent been around the site for a while. The new baby and this Adirondack winter has been keeping me pretty busy :)

But Im wondering if any of you are at all familiar with Santee Cooper Reservoir..

The 2+feet of snow in the backyard has got to me.. Im hooking up the Nitro and leaving Monday to head South for four days of fishing(Im leaving to come home on Sat morning) and have picked Marion and Moultrie for my destination..

Ive never been there and after looking at the BFL results from the past weekend( 6 boats out of 120 caught limits) Im thinking I made a really bad choice.. If I hadnt gotten a free place to stay at my parents timeshare which is on Marion, I think Id change the destination and head elsewhere..

So bottomline is Im wondering if you can offer any insight as to what's going on down there? water temps and what patterns are working this time of year..

ANy info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Luke

So basically Im wondering if anybody can

Santee Cooper can really be a great place to fish, and it can also be very difficult on the not experienced angler (meaning - not experienced on Santee Cooper.

First, it can be very, very dangerous. You can lose a lower unit in a heartbeat. If going, strongly suggest getting a least one day in with a guide (preferably your first day). If crossing the lake, stay in the boat lanes, and beware of danger signs posted.

Also, it is one of the premier Blue Catfish lakes in the country. Go try some out.

The lake, is shallow - and drops can be difficult to locate. It is also HUGE! Went for a two day club tourney there in March several years ago. About 12 boats. No limits. Probably no more than 10 fish caught the first day, 6 the second. Everything can look the same, to the un-initiated.

However, if the water is clear (meaning they haven't had any real storms or wind) - it can be a great spawn/bed fishing lake. Get in some of those back areas and look for the beds.

Hope this helps. Just remember, Lake Murray is not that far from Santee, and is a pretty good lake also.

Tex

I crossed Santee on Monday on my way home from Charleston, main lake was very, very muddy.

HP

Hey Luke, maybe you should leave the boat home, Champlain is only around the corner? Bring some rods and hire a guide for one day on Murry, that should get your fix in? The sounds of it don't look promising at all....

Mark

Thanks guys.. I'll be sure to take it easy while Im there.. Murray seems to be right next door, im guessing 40 or 50 min away . so I definitely may head over there for a day or two if I cant get anyhting going on Santee...

Mark.. damn straight.. I cant wait for South Bay to open up. Nothing like heading back in that setback and wacking a bunch.. Last year my best day I think I had 40 2-3lb class fish in about two hours until I lost touch with school.. Just simply amazing.. Something tells me that this trip wont be anything like that.. From what the guys said this can turn into a disaster really quick.. I'll just have to take my time and be careful.. My whole thinking in heading to Santee was to have an opportunity at a 9 or 10lb class fish.. So we'll see...........................

My brother-in-law lives in Orangeburg and has been fishing Santee for 40 years. I don't think he has ever fished the lake itself, mostly creeks and swamps. All I know is he puts in at Low Falls landing and finds the deep holes back in the shallow water. The water temp should be getting close to "right" after the 80's we had last week but the weather is not looking too good for the first of the week here. Good luck.

Marion/Moultrie are a couple of the best Spring fishing lakes in the South. The Brickyard just above the diversion canal, Black's and Angel's coves on the little lake as well as The Hatchery will produce some dandy spawners, too. Stay in the lanes on pad and idle through everywhere else is what I'd recomend to someone unfamiliar with the area. Canal Lakes in the middle of the diversion canal is a great place to stay and access the sweet spots of both lakes on a short run. One of my 10lb.er's on the man cave wall came from the Brickyard this time of year. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back