rod holders on a Pro Deep V17

• Thread starter Kevin Barbieri [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~librar
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Barbieri

Reaction score
Want to mount a couple of Cabela's Quick Draw rod holders on my Pro Deep V17 WT and am not exactly sure where. Don't want to interfere with the downrigger rods. Was thinking on the side gunnels in the back (near the light on the left) or on the rear deck on both sides of the seat. One on the baitwell side and one on the battery side. Any opinions? I attached a pic of the boat.
Image085.jpg

Had the dealer mount five Attwood rod holders, and five extra bases, on my 2002 Targa 17 last fall when I bought it. They used pan head (phillips), sheet metal screws (I believe 14 x 1.5")to mount them on the inside of the gunnels flush with the top of the gunnel. I just added two more side mount bases last week. Now I have six bases mounted on both sides that can be used. On each side, I have two mounted by the front seat, one by each passenger seat, and two by the the back seat. To mount them, I started by holding the mount in place by hand and drilling a pilot hole, through one of the top holes in the base, into the side of the gunnel. On the first screw, once I got the pilot hole started a little, I took the base down to finish drilling the hole. It takes a little pressure to get the hole through the metal. Made the pilot hole just a little smaller, in diameter, then the screw. Be conservative with your pilot hole and start with an obviously smaller diameter drill bit. You can always make your pilot hole larger, if needed, but you can't make it smaller, once it is drilled! After I got the pilot hole drilled through, I put the base back in position and screwed the first screw in. Don't tighten it down completely and you can swing the base back into position and start drilling the next pilot hole for the other top screw. Once it is started, let the base swing down to finish drilling the hole. After the hole is done, swing the base back in position and put the screw in. For the bottom two screws, just drill the pilot hole through the holes in the base and put the screws in. I think there's instructions that come with the rod holders. Good luck and good fishing! Do you have any wild turkeys in those woods behind your boat?

Glenn

i would have mounted the downriggers further back on the rails,round the pedistal of the seat,about the a in tracker.this way you have room up forward for mounting rod holders.i have 3 mounted forward of my riggers,and they dont interfere with the rigger rods when using the small boards on them and the riggers at the same time.

drill a 3/16 hole then put a #14 screw in it,dont tighten it down tight,then drill and screw the others down.

Interesting placement of the downriggers. How does that work for you, I am used to seeing them towards the back of the boat. I have the 16 foot version of your boat and have Scotty rod holders. I have mounted mine on the inside surface of the gunnels instead of the carpeted top. I have six total, two in the back where you were thinking of putting them, two in the middle, i/e drivers and passenger seat area, and two in the bow. Considering where you have your riggers the holders in the back may get in the way but I am not sure.

Mike

Glenn,

There are, as well as deer, fox, geese etc. The downriggers work well in that spot. Especially when out alone. They are within quick reach. I though about further back but the rear seats and the rear deck make it harder to manuver back there. When trolling I put them out the side, I only store them facing back.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back