Rob---What about that bear?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Hey Rob-

Just caught the end of news clip on CNN about a bear trying to drag a small girl away in NY...???

Wasn't it fairly near you there???

Yikes!!!

Is she OK?

az

Yeah, help me understand this one!! A woman with her 3 kids is out walking at a public camp. Everyone yells "bear" as is customary, and she grabs the 2 children that CAN walk, leaving the infant in the stroller behind. She runs, puts the 2 children in the camp and THEN returns for her baby, which has been dragged off by the bear. Onlookers said the bear grabbed the infant by the head, carried it several feet and then spit it out to the ground. The baby of course died. What was that woman thinking. Apparently she wasn't. I know that fear would cause most people to do stupid things, but once again, like the capsized sailboat in July.....HOW do you leave ANY child behind? Send the 2 running, stay behind and duke it out with the bear yourself while someone grabs the infant. I would gladly be "bait" while my children were being saved. Plus with little exception, if you stare a black bear down, and act very aggressive, they will back down, most times. DON'T try it with browns or grizzlies unless you want to be the entree. Again, just another senseless tragedy. She will have to live with it the rest of her life. I hear stories like this and look and my children and it turns my stomach. On a side note, I wonder if the wonderful people at PETA still think those big cuddly teddy bears never mean any harm. And for all you who aren't familiar with bears (I grew up with them all around) DON'T be foolish enough to think for a second that you can feed them! An animal that can crush your skull with the slightest swipe of it's paw, and those are the small ones. The can run up to 40mph for short bursts and the lb per square inch of crushing power in their jaws is rivaled only by a hydraulic press. They are wild animals and territorial by nature, and if you blink the wrong way within a striking radius of one, nice knowing ya! Black bears kill more people each year than browns, grizzlies, and polar combined. If anyone wants to see pics of what a 600 lb boar can do to a camp....let me know. It took us months to get rid of that bugger! And he did try to attack the camp with my wife, kids and mother-in-law inside more than once. One response, 12 ga slugs!

I'd like to see a 600 pounder any day. I am leaving in 2 weeks for a bear hunt in Maine. Can't wait!!.............sa

We have a camp in the Adirondacks, called "Black bear lodge". Can you tell me why????? LOL A friend and part owner of the camp is called Big Dave. Dave is 6'3" and weighs about 285lbs. Super nice guy. Well at camp we only have an outhouse, and as we tend to do at camp, one evening we got into the sauce a little extra hard. Well about 2:00am, Dave had to go "drain". He gets his flashlight, goes to the back door, opens it only to stare eye to eye with what he guessed to be about a 450lb bear on it's rear legs and a mouth full of our garbage. Dave never blinked, just stood there for a minute, looked at the bear as they stared at each other, then he mutters, "I can hold it", closed the door and went back to bed! LOL We actually have 2 camps, the one mentioned above which is owned by 4 men, one of which is my father-in-law, and the other just down the road is strictly ours. Well the 600 lber came to ours 2 or 3 years ago. He spread havoc all over the mountain. Ran clear through the neighbors gazeebo, in one side and out the other. Easier than going around I suppose. I actually never saw him myself, I was busy guiding at home that year. But my father-in-law who has shot and helped drag dozens of bear said it was over 600lbs. We never did shoot him. We ended up having to put heavy gauge nails through 2X6's and placing them nail side up under each window and door while we were not at camp. We came back one Friday night to find one of the boards moved and a good blood trail into the woods. He learned and never came back. He destroyed windows, scratched the truck, chased the dogs, ATE a bird feeder with suet in it! The whole damn feeder, can you believe that? My wife's mom wanted me to hunt it. I told her I would shoot it, but only if I could skin it, and leave the carcass where it fell. Those mountains are hell to hike normal. Drag 600 lbs of jello in a garbage bag through them....no way! I never got my chance, the boards scared him away. Mac, you have a bear hunt coming up too, don't you? I helped drag one once, never again! Unless he is IN the bed of a truck or next to one! We had a guy shoot a 650 lber a few years back and then drove it into town to show off. He drove around with it in the bed of his Ford Ranger for a week in the October heat. Then he turned a corner and it fell out into the road. He claims he didn't know and kept driving! 650lbs falls out of a compact pickup and your rear end will launch off the ground. Anyway, the town had to come with a backhoe to remove it, and did it stink!

Yeah....my hunt goes from Sept 15-21st.....Can't wait!!

We're leaving the 13th....another 10hr drive!LOL

Big Bears where I'm going rarely get over 500lbs,...most are 250 or less!!...There are some real toads up there, but i doubt I'll see one. I have every intention of whackin' one though!! Will be using my bow if the opportunity presents itself, but I will have my .44mag rifle IN THE STAND with me as back-up!!...If i don't get the 20yd bow shot. and it's a decent bear,...he'll feel the wrath of that .44!!!...I won't pass on a shooter just for the perfect bow shot!! Not when I'm going for my 1st one!! LOL

I'm fired up though,...all i need to do is pack!!

Mac

Goin down to visit my Mom and see the rest of the family,..we have a Labor day get-together every year!!

My wife and daughters are leaving early that saturday morning,...I'll drive down later that day after my tournament on 'clair.

We'll be gone the rest of the weekend,...home monday pm.

Mac

I'm heading north on Friday until Tuesday am...can't wait.

From the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

Black bears inhabit the extensive forest lands of northern New York, particularly those within the Adirondack Park. The Adirondack region is "home" to a healthy population of nearly 4,000 black bears. Until the arrival of a few moose in recent years, black bears were the largest New York mammal, with some adult males weighing in excess of 600 pounds.

What PETA wants you to think all bears are like!
cubs.jpg

What they don't want you to see is the very POed mother bear a few feet away willing to protect her young!!!

Bob G.

Over 600 lbs and 7 1/2 feet tall/long! look at those cute little claws it has. And that nice little set of jaws. For nice little kisses! Mac, if you go for one of these bad boys with a bow and arrow...good luck, you gotta a bigger set than me! LOL

Hey Mac, I am primarily a bow hunter, but after a few bears not giving me a good bow shot, I started bringing the gun.

I had a decent 300lb come out my first bow hunt for bear. It stepped out looked right at me (I was already at full draw w/ my Mathews and Muzzy raring to go). He slowly turned and stepped right back into the brush. If I would have had my 44 pistol, I could have dropped him right there in the brush. I bunch of the other guys in camp had shot their bows but couldn't find the bears. Man, I tell you what, for the cost of getting my floridian arse all the way up to Maine, and buying tags, etc. I just bring a gun now. I have this internal debate every year. I feel like I am wussing out by bringing a gun, but I do like my extra odds. Good luck all you fellow bear hunters...............sa

I killed bigger bear than that with a slingshot and a 3-ring binder while walking to school uphill both ways 3 miles through waist deep snow wearing hand me down clothes and burlap sacks for shoes...you guys are sissies!!!

Was that the same sling shot with a 1,000 yard effective range, red dot, night scope and heat seeking bb's? That was cool. We oughta use that on the comorants on Champlain! Oh wait, need to check with PETA first! Hey did anyone see the CBS national news last night on the tapes they acquired of Afganistan. The chemical weapons they were developing and testing on puppies! It was sick. Why don't we send PETA over there to negotiate with Bin Laden to stop that!

Rob - That is a terrible tradegy for that infant and I agree 100%, tell the walking kids to RUN and grab that infant!

We fish in Northern Ontario and last year were told that a 2-300lb bear had been comming around the camp every evening. They had the electric fence up, but that bear figured out real quick how to walk into the water and AROUND that fence. The week we were there we did not actualy see him while at camp, saw foot prints and via binoculars on OUR beach. BUT, to Rob's point about draining after dark, this scrawney Guy does NOT go into the Outhouse after dark! I put a 5 gallon bucket in the Shower and one out the front door. That way if it's raining or I hear ANYTHING in the shower bucket I go!

Rob,....if a Bear that big steps out of the woods and looks at me,....I'm thinkin' (.."empty the .44..NOW!!)..he'll be lookin at me, and he'll be thinkin'...(Camo pork rind...LUNCH!!)...I wouldn't attempt to arrow a bear like that and then have to track him!! that would take a HUGE set Rob!!(and yes,..mine are BIGGER,..but NOT that big!) LOL

I would LOVE to wax a Bear that big,...especially a 1st one!

YEOOWWWWW

Mac

Do you know why, when shooting at a bear, you should use a .44 Mag with only a four-inch barrel rather than a six- or eight-inch barrel?

Anyone? Anyone?

Cuz it doesn't hurt as much when that ba'ar shoves it up yer arse.

He'll use it as a toothpick to clean your camo out of his teeth!

Lucky for them there aint no bars (oops I mean bears) in my neck of the woods..Rob I heard that if a bear chases you up a tree and climbs up after you its a black bear. If it stands at the bottom and shakes you out it's a Grizzley. Is that true?

Bruce

I read a story once of a dude who fell asleep in his treestand while bear hunting, and woke up to an aweful racket above him. He looked up and a cub was about 10 feet above him in the tree, must have climbed up the backside, and was scared to come back down once he saw the hunter. SO of course the dude looks down and sees mamma at the bottom of the tree shaking her head side to side and hopping on her front paws. She was pissed. Finally after giving up on his yelling and trying to scare the cub down, he grabbed one end of his bow and stretched just enough to start poking at the cub and pushed it out of thre tree. After the 2 bears were gone he still waited an hour or so to come down from his stand....................sa

NOPE, a grizzly will just knock the tree over! LOL Chances are you wont' get to the tree, cause a grizzly can outrun even a black. And that whole playing dead trick, just prolongs your agony. Ever read the field and stream articles??? "I could hear the bear's teeth knawing through my scalp, scrapping against my skull and could feel it's jaws crushing my leg bones" Um, just kill me instead.....duh! So Mac, have fun on that hunt! LOL Bow and arrow.......HA! I wouldn't get out of my truck without a full mag of 180 grains in the 30.06 and a .357 on my side. Actually, the .357 has better penetrating power to get throught the bear's fat I heard. The .44 mushrooms too quickly and just ticks 'em off. Good luck Mac!

Dude,...We're talking about 250lb Black Bears where I'm going,.....there isn't a skull scrapping, bone crunching, tree tippin' Grizzly for 1000 miles!!! LOL I am an awesome shot with a bow and a gun and a pistol,...given the opportunity, I WILL SCORE!..efficiently, affectively and humanly!!....I will have a bow, a .44mag rifle, and a 9mm pistol strapped to my waist,...essentially a "Plan A, B, & C!".....ahahaah,....safe hunters ALWAYS have back-ups!! No need to worry about me, I'll be ready and "loaded for Bear"

....BTW Rob,....unless you've got Blaze Orange solk panties,..you BETTER stay in the truck!!! LOL

Mac

Ah shucks, them cuddly little cubs don't scare me much. Grew up with them in the yard! I know there isn't any grizzlies around here. Messin with ya. But black bears are capable. And don't start talking small now! You gotta think BIG! Like 400-500 lbs. BTW, you getting it mounted or doing a rug or anything? Gotta do the rug on your first bear if it's big enough. But the 9mm, don't waste the ammo. And remember, don't shoot for the head. On a bear, it's like a rock, and most times just glances off the skull anyway. Vitals, which I'm sure you know are lower than they are on a deer. In all seriousness, anyone that hunts bear with a bow has got my respect. I know a guy in town, a archery champion, anyway, he has shot several grizzlies with a bow. Now, to shoot them with a bow, they have to be inside what 40 yards max? And a grizzly can close that quick, and with an arrow they don't die for a few minutes, so he has plenty of time to come over and whoop ya good before he goes down. Nope, not for this boy, I'll stick with a high power rifle and start plinkin from 250 yards and closing and stop when he drops or I empty the gun!

These bears can outrun a horse!!

Anyway, you don't need all that stuff. The only dangerous black bear that you may encounter is a sow w/ cubs. And if you are a good bowhunter like you say, then you'll have good scent control, she'll never know you are there.

I came within 15 yards of a really nice black bear on a mountain trail in Maine. I was walking the road to my stand with just my bow, and it came out of the brush (thick Vietnam stuff, but no noise from the bear). It just popped out and started wlking in front of me at an angle, crossing the road. It's illegal to shoot from the road, so I couldn't make a shot. It turned and looked at me while crossing, but didn't worry about me at all, just kept going, and disappeared into the other side.

It's good that you are going bow hunting so you can be close by when they come out. These things are like Ninjas!! They are big bulky animals lumbering through thick vegetation, but make absolutely no noise. NONE. They just appear. No better rush........better than sex, but don't tell my girlfriend that.

I hearya Steve!! There is NO other adrenaline rush better than that from hunting!! It's an AWESOME chemical!! LOL

I have all the right scent control clothing and a nice stand, etc..etc...my buddies I'm going with have all told me stories about how dang quiet those Bears are and how they appear out of nowhere,,,,deer are just like that! I can tell you several stories about deer that just "appear"

out of nowhere...man that's cool!!! Heart starts pounding,....the deer is nervous,...looking around,...ya just sit as quiet as a twig and just watch it,..waiting for the perfect shot angle....all the time your thinking to yourself,.."He/she doesn't even know I'm here,...and I control his/her fate!!"......aahhah....that is a total rush!

Site fishing for BIG fish is kinda like that, but fish are a lot dumber than a mammal,....a fish will return to a bed if it's spooked off,....once you spook a game animal...game over!! There's no doubt in my mind the 1st Bear I see in the wild will deffinetely get me goin'....I will be excited, scared, confident, and ready,..all at the same time,..that will be an adrenaline rush like no other!! gauranteed! I'm fired up,....can't wait to go!!

Rob,...I agree,..I'd love a rug, but I won't do that unless it's a BIG one...300+lbs or bigger......anything smaller will be a head/shoulder mount probably....rugs are BIG$$$$

Mac

As far as a sow and cubs go,......we're NOT allowed to take a Bear that has cubs with it nor are we allowed to take a Bear considered "too small" (that's the judgement of the C-O!!)

So when/if I see a Bear come in,...I will wait and watch for a few minutes to make sure it's alone. cubs will usually come in first anyway,...just like young deer!! I will make a mark on several tree trunks in my area that is 3 to 4ft off the ground,.....those marks will be visual "reference" marks to better judge the size of that bear,....if it's up to or taller at the shoulder than the marks...it's a shooter.........if it's not,....just sit and watch it,...maybe a bigger one will come in and shoo it off! It's a patience game for sure!!

Mac,

Also, check the ear size in reference to the head. Big ears, small bear. Small ears, big bear. Their ears stop growing before the rest of the body. Good luck.

Bob G.

Yeah you got it all down. But they are even quiter than a deer. Also look for small ears on a big head. If you see taller more dog like ears, pass on it.

Last year a dude in camp shot two cubs, and skinned them out and packed them in the cooler before anyone could see the size, he took it to the check in store and pretended it was one bear. That dude was a real jackass. He had his elk tooth belt buckle and played the BIG GAME hunter role to the hilt. Not a real hunter if you ask anyone who is.

The shot angle on a bear is a lot tougher, since you just about have to get up into the area right around the heart. Not like a deer, which you can clip on the back of one lung, and still be able to find it. Bear can run up to 20 miles after a bad shot, and it will too. I am excited for you. I am so pumped, I am writing my gear list right now.

Wow,...good info on the ear sizes!! thanks!! I hadn't heard that one yet! I won't shoot a Bear just for the sake of killing one,....it's gota be a decent size or i'll just pass on it,..it's not that important to me,..I want something I can be proud of,....whackin' a cub is NOT cool!

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the tips guys!! Much appreciated!!! will post pix's or our adventure, but we're not leaving until Sept. 13th anyway,...so I'll be off-line for a week or so then!! You'll know when I'm gone! HA!!

I'll call mini from up there anyway and he'll post a report for me if I get one!!

Mac

on 2nd thought,..mini will be at the State fish-Off,....ohwell..i'll let SOMEONE know i got one!!..ahahaah

Mac, are they letting you hunt on a bait pile? For bears that's awesome, and one sure way you will see LOTS of bears. If so, don't getty "shooty" on the first bear, if he is big enough, he'll be back for an evening feed. If not, bigger ones are sure to follow. Remember, the big boys are usually loners.

Yeah,...we're huntin' bait,...a few of the guys are going up over labor day to start the first piles......they dig a huge hole and then throw all kinds of stinky stuff in there.

then they bury it and pile logs and stuff on top of it,..a bear that's hitting that spot will toss the logs aside like they're pick-up stix...and ravage the area!! ahahah,...

We're also taking a bunch of frozed fish guts up there and a bunch of old meat, cheap dry dog food in 50lb bags,.. and a bunch of powdered sugar to make "glaze"....will also have a few cans of sardines to put out for the daily "hors doerves"....the dudes i'm going with have all gotten atleast one bear each and a couple of them have 3 each, so they're seasoned vet's.......they'll have atleast 12-15 bait stations already set up and we'll draw straws everyday for the station of choice!! It'll be a blast man,...they're all the same guys I shoot 3-D archery league with so I've known them all for atleast 3-4 years anyway...it'll be my 1st hunt with them though, but they're all excited for me to get my 1st Bear anyway, so you know they'll put me in the best spots ..they're a great bunch of guys..and very very funny to hang out with,..it'll be an awesome trip! Two of those same guys just re-roofed my house, garage and shed for me and didn't charge me labor for themselves!,..they charged me for mat'ls and the labor to pay his other 2 workers.....saved me $2-3000K atleast!!!

I hooked him up during my shppping blitz last friday when i did my clothes shopping,...I bought him 2 complete camo'd outfits (pants, and long and short sleeved shirts) and a few other things as a "thank you" for doing the roofs for such a great price...he freaked. I have some awesome friends,....and this board includes a BUNCH of'em! Love this site!!

Mac

I'm also going to do some custom 'toons for those guys as well, but I'll wait until after the trip so I have some really funny stories or "incidents" to draw upon (no pun intended)...then I'll frame them and give them to everyone as a thank you for inviting me up there with'em!! It'll be too cool....and since none of those guys fish much, and they deffinetely don't lurk here,...I can talk about it, but it's going to be a surprise for all of them,...I'll really come up with some classic stuff for them as "thank you's",...then I'll have them all sign the matte on the original art and I'll keep that one for myself,..in my basement framed,..next to my bear mount!! What a plan!! LOL

Mac

OK, Bear Story----

My father, being the jokster that he is, had us on vacation in Minnesota (Lake Kapatogoma) and we made our trek out to the garbage dump to tease the black bears. I'm standin' behind a big garbage pile watching a bear about 50 yards away and my ol' man is behind me tellin me to get closer. I told him no way and to shut up or the dang bear was going to hear him and come over to investigate. It was nice and quiet for about 5 minutes......then I got a shove in the back. Thinkin it was pops, I told him that I wasn't gettin any closer to no big blackie. I got shoved again so I turn around and I am standin face to face with a juvenile black bear. Lemme tell you what.....I went over that garbage pile like I was shot outta a cannon!! Funny thing was I never heard my dad leave or the bear walk up (usually bears have a very distinctive smell also---dang garbage). Also saw one walk out a dock to where a guy was fishing and started dipping minnows out of his bucket. This poor guy turned around and jumped straight off the end of the dock (this was in Canada). Oh yeah, they are quiet. Come to think of it, on that same trip, I had a wolf stick its cotton pickin head in my bedroom window in the cabin.To me, that was worse than the bear.

TOXIC

Hey Toxic, is this where you started with the begiining of the name Toxic. Did you ruin the bait pile or just make it that much more of a delicacy for the bears?

Nope, the name TOXIC actually got started about 15 years ago and I realized it has been with me all of my life, I just didn't know it!! The guy's on the board have been trying to squeeze the ORIGINAL out of me but it ain't gonna happen in a public forum. Maybe, just maybe, if I can get to the ralley and they get my pump primed enough, I might let it go. But believe me when I say, there is so much more to TOXIC than just one story. You have to take it in installments!!

TOXIC

dude,..those are great stories!!..ahahah...I use to watch the bears in a dump up in canada while camping with my grandparents when i was a kid. One time a big ol' bear got it's foot caught in some sort of can,.. a paint can or crisco can or something,....and when it got spooked,...it took off runnin' like a wet cat and you could hear this "klankity, klank, klank KLANK." as it ran through the woods,....it was hilarious...that ol bear wasn't going to be able to sneak up on anything after that!! HA! My buddy Dave who i am bear hnting and driving up with refers to sleeping bags as "Bear Burritoes"...ahahahha...I've already got my "visual" for his cartoon!! LOL

Mac

Hey Mac, bears LOVE molasses! Bring a gallon or two of that with you! And wheat bread. Pile a coupld of loaves down and drown them in molasses. Game over! We feed them at camp. Works every time.

A friend of mine took a beautiful cinnamon-colored bear in Canada a couple of years back. He told me that their bait pile was hundreds of day-old donuts in a 55-gallon barrel.

MMmmmmmm..... dough-nuts.

I use 10 pound blocks of caramel, and buckets of peanut butter, it's all nice n sticky, keeps 'em working for a while.................sa

Anything sweet. Another guide and friend in ME uses old candy he gets from a candy distributor that's outdated. Bear's apparently love Snickers bars! He starts them in the summer so the coats get nice and glossy and they bulk up by season. He claims to average 350 lbs! Looking at his pics, I believe it! All this talk makes me reconsider and maybe try my luck during the early season in a couple of weeks and try out my new camo......the bear proof, kevlar, Bill Mackelroy (LOL) signature series! In hot pink apparition! With the matching blaze silk undies!

Oh wait, I feel another infomercial coming on.....LOL

LOL...you guys are nuts! We're going to have all kindsa bait with us,....one of the guys has a connection with a meat cutter,...another dude's mom works at a bakery,..so we'll have all of that stuff,...one of the locals up there takes a large coffee can fulla honey,..then he sets it on a sterno can and boils and burns the bajeebers out of it,..it smokes like crazy and coats all the foliage around the area with a sweet smell......dem dare bars can smell it for miles! Those wiley Indians up there know all the tricks!!

We'll get'em!!

Mac

Back