What a day!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey gang:

Fishing has been the last thing on my mind this week. Been in California prepping for and being part of today's big event at Tesla Motors - the delivery of our first 10 Model S cars to customers earlier today. Got to play host to Governor Jerry Brown, Congressman Mike Honda, NHTSA Administrator David Strickland, the California Senator and Assemblyman for the Fremont, CA district (where the factory is located) and a host of federal and state government officials.

As folks may know, we started with the Roadster - a high performance all electric car that went 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. It was a small volume, high priced model (program ended last year). Our next car - the mid-priced, mid-volume offering was released today, a full one month ahead of schedule. With continued progress, we hope to be on track for that high volume, low priced EV in a few more years!

Oh, also met the President of NASCAR and his executive staff this morning. Can't say too much about what was discussed, but don't be surprised if you see a Tesla sometime in the near future at a NASCAR event!

Here's a pic taken at the end of the ceremony. JB Straubel, the Chief Technology Officer (and inventor of the battery technology) is in the middle front with the white shirt. Elon Musk is to the right of the photo in jeans and a beige blazer. Governor Brown is to the right of him in the dark suit. I'm about the fourth person to the right in a blue blazer. Off for some rest!

missionaccomplished_v01.jpg

VERY cool. I assume these are primarily battery operated. Are you guys investigating fuel cells? Just curious.

Have fun! It sounds like you are. :D

Electrics will be the way to go in the future, or at least for those of us that do not get frozen part of the year and have a short commute to work each day. Just wish the cost of these would come down to my affordable range. Any freebies you need to unload there Jim? LOL!

That Model X is a great looking vehicle as well

Thanks Greg!

Don't write off EVs for colder climates. Model S was extensively tested in Minnesota and the Model S performed admirably (see http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/cold-weather-climate-testing-model-s). Negative range impacts are predicted, but given the active thermal management on the battery, such impacts are small.

As for cost, with Model S out and Model X to follow, our next platform will be the Gen III vehicle (think BMW 3-series sized) coming out in the 2015-2020 timeframe with price points in the $30K range. We plan both a sedan and small SUV on the Gen III platform. Frankly, its the car I plan to buy myself when its released.

In the meantime, here's a picture of the Model S marketing cars getting ready to be sent around the country for test drives (yup, you can actually get behind the wheel of one!).

Model%20S%20Marketing%20Cars.jpg

I would be curious as to what happens to all those batteries in the future?

Tee - first, the vehicles have a powertrain/battery warranty that's 8 years/100,000 miles (or in some cases, unlimited miles!). So it will be a long time before battery issues arise. Second, the batteries, when no longer fit for EV use still retain 80% (or more) of their charge/discharge ability. They can be re-purposed for use as stationary power storage for years further. After that time, once totally depleted of useful life, the batteries are fully recycled - that is, the lithium is reclaimed (and can be reused), other metals (primarily copper) are also reclaimed, electronics pulled and reused, etc. Less than 25% (mostly plastic) is shredded and landfilled. Once volumes get to higher levels, it will cost-effective to even recycle this plastic.

The batteries themselves contain ZERO toxic metals or chemicals. They can be fully landfilled as solid (not hazardous) waste - but then the value of the batteries is too high to simply throw them away! Moreover, the recycling process is mechanical (shredding) and chemical. No combustion is involved so air emissions are also minimized. You can read more about battery pack recycling here: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mythbusters-part-3-recycling-our-non-toxic-battery-packs. We also have contracts in place with companies like Toxco to recycle spent batteries.

:D:D Seriously, he's got aspirations to go to MARS! Really!!