Restoring black vinyl/plastic

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Snow

Reaction score
Okay, the boat is almost whipped into shape. I've done some replacing here and fixing there. I have a handle on fixing the gelcoat oxidation, but I don't have a handle on the black plastic/vinyl parts (like the dash and such). It's lost the lustre to say the least. Has anyone ever found a product that works to RESTORE the color and shine? I've used Mother's back to black or something like that. The gelcoat is going to need professional sanding. Can vinyl be sanded with decent results (1000 or 1500 grit)???

I dont think you can sand vinyl...

Try 303 protectant... I think it has properties to help restore, and it sure will help it from getting any worse...

Mike, try this. I've had excellent results wit htheir products.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-14&Category_Code=Zaino

Go to a car detail place and find a can of Instashine. It's made for it. I taught a auto detail class and thats what professional detailers use.

Fatrap

Mothers "Back to Black". Works on any color. Best I've found. Non slick so you can use it on the seats also. May take a couple of applications if it is in bad shape.

TOXIC

Mike try the back to black that Tox mentioned. Its good stuff. The dash on my 882 is getting pretty sun faded and the back to black brings it right back and it looks really nice.

and if you use the 303 from the start, it will never fade...

Probably true simmy but it wouldn't bring mine back from gray!! Mothers did. It will give out over time so you do need to reapply but it is the best stuff I have found. KB bought a bottle on my recommendation but his boat is in the shop right now. Maybe I can con him into going out and putting some on that old faded dashboard in his truck....Just to prove it works!!

TOXIC

Hey easy, My dash is in perfect shape for a six year old truck with 200 thousand miles on it! THANK YOU

Tox,

I was just ribbin... preventative maintenance is 1000% easier than restoration, of any kind...

I use the 303 on everything not gelcoat/Fiberglass... no fading yet, bright colors... even use it on the dashboards of the trucks/cars...

I am keepting the "Back to Black" on my list of must haves should I need it... Or should I say when I need it.

I would venture a guess that Mothers, if used from the start would also keep them shiny and new (it has in my jeep....1993 with the top off every summer). The important thing to know is to stay away from the cheapie ones like Armor-all. It actually dries out the vinyl and quickens cracking. That is unless they have reformulated it since I used it. It was one on the first products out there. If I remember correctly, you can put 303 on the gelcoat also. You know how anal I am about this stuff.....

TOXIC

You can use 303 on the Gel as well (so they advertise), but something about that process bugged me, so I just keep using the KnB Clean and shine and hand washing/waxing.

I have never trusted any product that advertises "one thing for all uses"... just me I guess...

Well, I seem to have achieved some results.

I had some "detailer's advantage" or some such nonsense that's actually Armor All brand. I covered the vinyl/plastic with it (not sprayed and wiped, but sprayed and spread)... let it soak overnight and wiped off. Nice shine... oily as crap, but nice shine. I went over it with Mother's to try to protect for the future.

KB,

Boat is in the shop? Too much air time or what?? Tox, where can you buy this 303 stuff at? I may need to try this out.

Carlos

CIII,

You can get it online or at any marine supply. Stuff is pricy, works ok but I was not overly impressed with it. I'll stick to the mothers.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back