Gel Coat Update (long, long, long)

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Ok, so everbody remember my issues with my neglected 2000 929? It was my partner's guide boat, never waxed, never washed, stored outside, yada, yada-- and the topcoat was pretty heavily oxidized. First attempt was the "Space Age" 303 Protectant that billed itself able to remove oxidation. From what they say, if you could dip your boat in the stuff you would be good to go!! Spray on, wipe off and oxidation gone.....Not exactly......I won't totally discount this stuff but it just stands to reason (and I would have known this if I would have not been looking for an "easy" way out) that in order to "remove" oxidation, you gotta get it off!! Now this stuff might work as a UV protectant AFTER you get the ox removed but it doesn't do squat to get it off. It might hide some minor stuff but enough said. Next try was Meguairs #1 rubbing liquid, it is their coarsest. I used an orbital random buffer and terry pads. Now before someone jumps on and says to use a high speed buffer, let me say that it is not an option. There is a very fine line between "just about right" and OH, SH@T!! And those who know, know that once you go through the gel it's a big $$ fix. The Meguairs did ok but was not getting what I considered a "finished" look. Still some haze. Next I read Ben's post on the 3M Fiberglass Restorer and Wax and thought that might be worth a try. Testamonial #1--Guy at the marina sait 3M makes the best products. Testominal #2--My secretary's boyfriend is a top notch body and fiberglass man and he recommended 3M (but the "extra cut"--Something to keep in mind if you have bad oxidation---Rob). Testomonial #3--Me. This was the best at removing small scratches, black heel marks, and ox. I did three coats by buffer and one by hand (ps this was on the side of the boat not done with any of the other products). It came out what I would consider "acceptable" to me (probably perfect to anyone else, remember my affliction!). The trailer fenders are also in pretty bad shape and it brought them right back (I think it is a different type of glass and topcoat). Although it says wax is included in the product, I followed up with some Meguairs pure carnuba wax (no cleaners). Last night, I pulled the windshield and went to work on that with a scratch remover (Magic Blue I think) and it came out like new. Just started on all of the black components (Dash, glove box covers, etc.) and I am in for a workout. Mothers "Back to Black" is my product of choice (the 303 again fell short) and the dash soaked up 4 applications so far. Keep in mind it was bleached gray!! It is coming back though. I promise, this boat will be showroom by the time I get done! If you guys want, I will keep you posted on the products and sucesses/failures (I still have carpet- heavily soiled, rust in the cooler, dirty bilge, fungus filled livewells, etc.).

I do hire out, contact me for my BPH (Brews Per Hour) charge.

TOXIC

The 303 is Excellent if you start with it from the beginning

My last boat and My new one both got its treatemtn or get it monthly and I am here to say the boat is showroom condition. So once you are satisfied the 303 should keep it looking great!!

Mark

toxic vandamn -

good update and keep us posted. sounds like you are working your arse off! I gotta go thru my rig every once in a while too, but not to the extent you are having to. If you lived closer, I'd take you up on the BPH. If I had a 929, I'd be doin the same. good luck and keep us posted.

james d.

TOX- thanks for the report. It's hard damn work, isn't it!!! As far as the high speed buffer, you gotta be VERY careful, especially with terry bonnets. I found the wool bonnets to be easier on the gelcoat.

Toxic

I have found that Meguairs seems to work the best it tends to hide the little scratches in the gell coat. Also I have some minor imperfections in the hull may have been from the mold it gives sort of a hazy appearance to the hull again Meluairs is the only wax that hides this.As far as 303 it seems to work for me but again I keep the cover on the boat as much as possible.You 're going to have a hard time keeping the fenders looking good I know that I am they are a really poor design by tracker ( What else is new) if you compare the fenders of a Ranger to those of a Nitro it's almost immpossible to step on the Ranger fenders since they are curved while the nitro fenders are too flat on top . Even thought they look sharp when new I would rather have stainless steel fenders on the trailer

Toxic, What state you in? if your in FLA, i have a keg that says you cant make mine like new, i even have a extra bilge pump that i can hook up to the tap to keep the good times rollin and the buffer-a-buffin. lol. Anyhow thanks for the indepth info on the restoration. If possible please post the final results in picture format. That would be great to see.

Thanks

Eric H.

Latest posts

Back