Oxyclean

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
So, I promised that I would post the success, or failure, of my attack on the heavily oxidized 929. After about 80 man hours with buffer and 3M's Fiberglass restorer and wax. I think I've got it to a point where I can live with it. It took 4 1/2 coats (3 by buffer, 1 by hand and 1/2 spot treatments). Look in my library in this order. I didn't want to shrink them down so you could see the detail.

1. boatbefore-It's a little hard to see but look at the trailer fenders. That's not glare!! The top cap is just as bad.

2. boatafter- After 2 buffer coats.

3. boatfri- After 3 buffer coats

4. boatfrl- final.

I'm not looking for anyone to ooooohh and aaaaaaaah, I just want you to know that it can be done. Took my partner out in her yesterday and he told me that he NEVER had it looking that good!! You have to also realize that the black dash was chalky grey (thank you Mothers- Back To Black), the seats were torn (I did a little home fix until I get them recovered) and the carpeting looked like Neeley's living room rug.

Let me know what you think.

TOXIC

Hey...what's wrong with my early 70's vintage orange shag?!?

Nen,

Just don't tell me you've got a "shag rake" in your closet right next to the California King waterbed with a mirrored headboard and disco ball (or was that Mac?). Shag has a way of hiding the slim jim wrappers!!

TOXIC

I use to use a rake, now I uae the Super John Deere Hoover we saw earlier!!!

Tox- looks damn good. That 3m restorer is good stuff. Now the question is how long will it last? If it will make it 1 year between apps I'll be happy.

Ben,

I very much doubt it. I have seen a slight smoke start to come back. I applied some Meguires pure carnuba wax and it took it out. I think the oxyidation is taken care of but I also think that I am going to have to wax on a regular basis to keep the kind of shine that has in the pics. I don't mind that. The buffing is hard work!! Plus, it has been on the water 4 times in the last 2 weeks. I'm still tryin to figure out what the difference is between Marine wax and plain old pure carnuba (with no cleaners).

TOXIC

TOX, I think the difference in the marine wax and the carnauba is that the carnauba has a better shine, but is not as durable as marine wax. I've always heard that with cars, good ole' turtle wax is much more durable than all the high tech carnauba waxes. Lasts much longer! Just not as shiny. And yes, I agree that the buffing sucks. One coat of wax a couple of times per year would be nice! Did you get the 3M stuff slung all over you when you were buffing? I sure did!

Ben, I am soooooo anal about this stuff, that I actually put the 3M liquid on with my fingers and spread it to the exact areas that I wanted it. I never put it on to thick and when the terry bonnett got packed full (it took a long time) I changed it out. Of course I got some slung around, but very little. I also used plexi-scratch remover on the winshield (took it off as a matter of fact), 303 on the tires and rubber steps, Mothers mag polish on the wheels, and some marine epoxy in most all of the compartments to re-attach all of the carpeting that the marine inspector pulled down during the inspection (@ss-wipe!!). I used regular car wax on the trailer, Slick 50 on the moving parts (trolling motor, etc.) and spent 2 days recouping!! Anal.... Not even close.....OCB... Getting closer LOL. And Thursday my partner tells me that he is getting close to a spot on the National Team and that would put me on the State Team and into a new boat. After all of this work, I would kinda hate to see her go. From what I understand, it's the color scheme that I have that has caused NITRO fits with the oxyidation. I didn't like it at first, but now I do. If we go with new boats, they will probably be solid or two tone because we are going to do the "boat wrap" thing with a couple of the sponsors. At $2500 per boat, it better protect the finish underneath!!

TOXIC

Tox,

Boat looks great!!!! If you get bored I have a 170tf that you can work on in your spare time. Not as bad as the old look though.

Carlos

Latest posts

Back