Remove Motorguide Trolling Motor Mount

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lowe

Reaction score
I need to remove the bow mount on my boat which is a 1997 Nitro 700LX. The problem is that the mount uses screws, washers & nuts & no way can I read under the deck to put something on the nut to hold it stationary & remove the screws. What did any of you do in this situation.

Tape or otherwise secure a wrench to an extension (length of pipe, broom handle, etc) and use it to reach under the deck. When I changed mine, I was able to get my arm in the cut-out under the front console cover, but was barely able to reach the nut the farthest away. Wound up with my right arm looking like a cat tried to use it as a scratching post. When I put the new TM on, I used a piece of SS tubing from work, securely taped the wrench to the end of the tubing and was able to reach the bolt using it like this. I put a piece of electrical tape over the box end of the wrench to keep the nut from falling out, put the nut in the box end, and put it under the deck, and worked the bolt until I got it started.

I recently had the an issue getting a nut back on. Mine was not a problem on reaching. Mine was an issue were there is something in the way and I only have about a 1/4" (height of the nut) between the filler thats in there and the end of the bolt. I couldnt squeeze the nut and wrench in the area I had to work with. Dropped 2 trying to get them on the bolt. I finally said forget it and just left that one off. I have 6 bolt so I am hoping 5 secured with a nut is enough.

When I changed mine I put a small crow bar under the mount to put tension on the nuts underside and I was able to remove all screws.

I installed the new mount with trolling motor rubber mount bolts. Piece of cake.

Good luck & good fishing:)

Ron

No matter what you use, be sure and tie some type of line/twine to the 'other' end of the wrench. On my Stratos, I could remove the very small (read not wide at all) front panel and barely get my arm and a long 7/16" box end on the nut. Of course, this is where I learned that if I didn't tie a piece of string to the opposite end of the wrench, it would soon and forever be in the bottom of my hull somewhere inaccessible!

Marked up my arm pretty good till I got smart and dressed all of the fiberglass and such where they access holes had been drilled.

Good luck.

Tex

Latest posts

Back