Is a 80lb troller too big?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClubMonki

Reaction score
I just got a nitro 160 and need a powerful troller for wind and current. Is a 80lb too much? Should I just mount to the bow with screws or add a wood mount under the bow? Suggestions are helful. I have never done this.

80 pound is not too much. I would definitely use a backing plate under the bow. Also remember that you will have to run an 80# motor on 24V or two batteries. You would want to have a seperate engine starting battery and two troll motor batteries to get you the 24V. You could get by on the smaller series of batteries since your boat will be somewhat light for 80# motor.

One big advantage of the 24V system is that you will get significantly more run time this way.

Boat weight is the most important consideration to take into account when choosing a trolling motor. A beginning rule of thumb is that you want a minimum of 2 lbs of thrust for every 100lbs. For example, if you have a 3000lb boat, fully loaded, then the calculation is (3000/100) * 2 = 60lbs of thrust. When calculating boat weight, make sure you calculate the heaviest potential weight which includes a boat fully loaded with gear, fuel and the maximum number of passengers.

Boat Weight (lbs)
1,500​
2,000​
2,500​
3,000​
3,500​
4,000​
Boat LengthSub 14'15'16'17'18'19'20'20'+
Minimum Thrust30405060708090100
Performance Thrust*405060708090100100+
Motor Voltage12v12v12v24v24v24v36v36v

ClubMonki,
I always mount my motors on a bracket that allows you to take motor off boat easily. A lot of reasons but 2 are if you have a travel cover, you can pull motor and still cover boat, unless you have custom cover with motor pocket. Another is if you don’t want to park your boat somewhere and have motor on it, this includes electronics as well, pull it and not worry about someone else pulling it for you!😎

80 pound is not too much. I would definitely use a backing plate under the bow. Also remember that you will have to run an 80# motor on 24V or two batteries. You would want to have a seperate engine starting battery and two troll motor batteries to get you the 24V. You could get by on the smaller series of batteries since your boat will be somewhat light for 80# motor.

One big advantage of the 24V system is that you will get significantly more run time this way.

Boat weight is the most important consideration to take into account when choosing a trolling motor. A beginning rule of thumb is that you want a minimum of 2 lbs of thrust for every 100lbs. For example, if you have a 3000lb boat, fully loaded, then the calculation is (3000/100) * 2 = 60lbs of thrust. When calculating boat weight, make sure you calculate the heaviest potential weight which includes a boat fully loaded with gear, fuel and the maximum number of passengers.

Boat Weight (lbs)
1,500​
2,000​
2,500​
3,000​
3,500​
4,000​
Boat LengthSub 14'15'16'17'18'19'20'20'+
Minimum Thrust30405060708090100
Performance Thrust*405060708090100100+
Motor Voltage12v12v12v24v24v24v36v36v
Great advice, thank you. So how do I get the backing plate in the Hule. I see no way unless I put it on a long rod. Is there a trick. Also, would u use pressure treated wood or something else?

I'm not familiar with the front cap on your boat. Without an access of some kind you may have to forgo the backing- Wood with washers would be sufficient to support it well. I've been able to come up with some scrap aluminum stock from time to time but I don't think it would matter which. There are various anchor bolts that you can consider as well. I would try to use a set that definitely will not be able to pull out in any way.
Hope the project goes well for you... Unless you are planning to use one of new GPS troll motors, which I would highly recommend if you budget can stand it, you may be able to find a good Minn Kota Fortrex. A lot of guys are replacing good motors to get the Ultrex (GPS). I've favored Minn Kota for many years and the Fortrex is practically bullet proof. I've switched to the Ultrex over a year ago and can't say anything but good about it.

I'm not familiar with the front cap on your boat. Without an access of some kind you may have to forgo the backing- Wood with washers would be sufficient to support it well. I've been able to come up with some scrap aluminum stock from time to time but I don't think it would matter which. There are various anchor bolts that you can consider as well. I would try to use a set that definitely will not be able to pull out in any way.
Hope the project goes well for you... Unless you are planning to use one of new GPS troll motors, which I would highly recommend if you budget can stand it, you may be able to find a good Minn Kota Fortrex. A lot of guys are replacing good motors to get the Ultrex (GPS). I've favored Minn Kota for many years and the Fortrex is practically bullet proof. I've switched to the Ultrex over a year ago and can't say anything but good about it.
I am getting the terrova 80. Pretty big. I will need to figure out wiring for it as well. Any suggestions on what to get on that?

I jut put a Terrova on my Tracker V 175, 24V 80lb thrust. I replaced the 8awg wire with 6awg, some guys got to 4awg. I purchased mine thru CableUSA. Got the copper lugs and terminal covers as well. Reasonably priced an quick delivery. Lugs attached where necessary. Also installed Marinco plug and receptacle, quality stuff.

Latest posts

Back