Recommended shop for Trolling Motors - NC

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Took my new (slightly used) Minn Kota Maxxum to get repaired last Friday. I took it to:

Fisherman's Friend

Kannapolis, NC

They are an authorized service center for both Motorguide and Minn Kota. Dropped it off around noon on Friday. They gave me some tips for taking the motor on and off (without taking off the mount), and also steered me clear of some 'stuff' that Minn Kota sells that I was interested in. They had it there and would sell it, but didn't really recommend it (quick disconnect mount for Minn Kota).

Got a call yesterday afternoon and the TM is ready to be picked up. Total cost: $42.00.

I had screwed up the upper bearing in the TM head, and the feedback/control from the footpedal was not working well either.

That's what I call solid service; great advice and a very (very) fair price. If you live in the Carolina's and need some TM work done, I highly recommend them.

:):D:rolleyes:;):lol::p:wub:

Tex

Why did they recommend against the purchasing the quick disconnect? I'm sure Minn Kota would be interested to know this guy is recommending not buying MK products. I have a quick disconnect and it is quite handy when I want to put the cover on the boat. Without the motor in the way the cover fits nicely up front. The quick disconnect also helps when I put the boat in the garage as it is a tight fit length-wise. That's two reasons "for" buying it. Buying it just to have it certainly doesn't make sense though.

Tex, why was the bearing not covered under warranty? The maxxum has a 3 year on it.

I 2nd the recommendation for Fisherman's Friend. My last boat's trolling motor went out and I didn't have a receipt since I didn't purchase the motor new. They still repaired it under warranty.

Bryan

I have used Fisherman's Friend service as well. At some of the big tournaments I fish they actually have a mobile unit at the launch site. For the Federation tournaments they are always there in case you run into some problems on tournament day.

If you have a Minn Kota you will love the lift assist. My Tx. partner had one put on his and it makes stowing the TM alot easier. It will save wear and tear on your TM lift cord.

Donnie

Donnie - Just bustin' your chops but "save wear and tear on your TM lift cord"! Gonna spend more money for list assists when a NEW TM lift cord (aka - piece of rope) costs you next to nothin'. I have a bridge I'd like to sell you!

LOL :D:p:D:rolleyes::lol:

I knew it was coming.LOL Actually I think he has messed up two cords untill he got the lift assist. Heck it makes my arm and back feel better, cant buy those for a $15 cord. :D:D:lol::)

Donnie

I have the list assist on my max pro 80. Great feature imho.

Roy,

Send me an email, and I will reply.

I'll have to look into the lift assist. Is it available as aftermarket add-on?

As far as the 'quick disconnect' - I'm certain that it would be useful if I needed to take off my trolling motor more frequently, but I was only looking at it if I needed to take it off again. Now that he's showed me the trick, I won't worry about it.

Tex

Tex the lift assist helps you lift the TM out of the water. Basically it is a small hydrolic (sp?) shock that "springs" the TM up helping you stow it. As far as it helping you get it on and off I dunno??

Donnie

Donnie,

I think I put my answer up, poorly. Meant to be two separate answers. I know what the lift assist does. Just a poor job on answer by me.

Tex

Latest posts

Back