recessed foot control?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Gerdes

Reaction score
Now that I am on a roll getting questions answered...

One of my potential winter upgrades to my 95 Tracker 175 is my bow mount tm. While upgrading it, I was thinking of recessing the foot control. The thing I am worried about is what will happen to any water that will get into the recessed area?

I believe there is foam under the deck, so I would build some sort of 'box' to hold the pedal, but I don't want the water to build up in that area. So, would it eventually reach the bottom of the boat and work its way back to the bilge, or do I have to route the water somewhere?

Thanks again.... Dave G

Dave,

You never needed to leave NJ!! LOL,

Here is a link for a product for the foot control

http://comfortroll.com/

lol... Thanks CJL. That looks easier than having to build one. The dealer I use said they get kits with a template and frame, but it is designed for Ranger's, which are already finished with fiberglass underneath. I will probably go with something like this, but will hold off for now. I would rather put that extra money towards another upgrade, then add this later in the year. thanks again..

WOW! $150 for a drop in piece of powder coated aluminum. They definately look nice and appear professional ,but not sure if worth that much. I thought aout building my own last winter when I extended my front cast deck on my 03 PT175, but not sure if one pedal spot is ok. If I am working a crank/spinner bait along a shoreline I normally lean against pedestal seat, face toward shore and move the pedal around so that everything is pointed the same. I thought it might be worse trying to work in this side ways position if the trolling motor pedal was facing forward and located in front of the seat vs the side. Any comments.

Doing an upgrade like that has always intrigued me, but I'm not sure if I'd like it. I like to scoot the pedal around the deck until I find that sweet spot depending on the side I'm fishing out of. If I fished more open water I guess I'd be into it.

I was thinking of installing one on my Avalanche, but I'm a little worried about voiding the warrenty and just the fact of cutting into my new boat :(

Does anyone know of someone installing one on a Avalanche?

Recessing my foot pedal was the best thing since sliced bread.

I also liked being able to move it around to where I wanted it. But how often is it still in the same place when you go to step on it again? Found it much easier to always know exactly where it is at all times without looking. Not to mention ALOT easier on the back after a long day of fishing.

I didn't like the wide gap between the pedal and the deck that I was seeing on the ones for sale so I made mine myself out of treated plywood and sealed it up tight. Kept the gap around the pedal tight to prevent snagging your heel or toes. And have it set up so when the TM is pointing straight ahead, the pedal is almost flush with the deck. As soon as you set your foot on the pedal you can tell exactly which way the motor is pointing.

When I re-carped the boat I made some little adjustments to get exactly what I wanted.

Steve,

When you built your own and sealed up the wood 'tight', are you referring to all the joints? If so, what happens when it rains, does water collect in there? That was my main concern about recessing it. The example I saw was on a Ranger and where the pedal mounted was finished fiberglass that ran to the back of the boat, so all the water would end up at the bilge. Would you be able to show me a picture of what you did? Thanks.... Dave G

I don't know how well it drains but Steve's looks GREAT and if I was 1/2 the construction/mechanic he was i'd do the same on my Nitro. saw Steve's boat at the Rally in 2004 and it looked factory!

I believe the comfort troll and flatfoot both have a drain hole on the floor of the unit. They may even supply a drain hose so you can take the excess water and run it into the bilge. I'm just guessing on the last part. :unsure:

SevenPin

Would installation void the warranty of the deck material ?

This is the only picture that I could find.

And some hoodlums stole my digital camera out of my truck a few months back so I can't take a new one.:(

Now keep in mind that I have an older boat and my front deck has no storage compartments. Basically it's a piece of plywood with carpet on it. So I figured "whats the worst I could screw up?"

All I really did was to take the deck off and see what was under it. Once I saw that there was nothing under there in the way, I decided to go for it.

I set the foot pedal on top of the deck and traced around it with a marker. I then cut the carpet from the center of the box to the corners like slices of pizza.(*leaving them attached around the outside line) I folded the slices back and thumbtacked them out of the way exposing the wood underneath.

Set the pedal down on the bare wood and trace it again.(peel the carpet back farther as neccissary).

Then just start cutting. (start small and trim as needed for a good fit). After I had the hole cut I took 2x2 strips and framed around the hole on the sides and rear,screwing them to the deck from the top side down.I kept them about an inch back from the edge of the hole for trimming room.

Then I took a piece of plywood cut to size and screwed it to the bottom side of the 2x2's.

I then had to notch the front part of the hole for the cable to ramp up out of.

Then I sealed everything up with sealer and drilled a few holes in the plywood for extra drainage.

After some test fits and trimming here and there cutting a little off at a time, I had the fit just how I liked it.

Remember how I cut the carpet into "pizza slices". Now just take out the tacks and fold the slices back down into the hole. A squirt of Liquid nail and a few staple to hold each slice into place and it's done.

The bare section down down inside the hole will be covered by the pedal,and will drain easier without the carpet.

After I was done I realized I needed to trim a little more to get my finger to the off/con/mom switch on the side of my MinnKota, but I neved used it so I just left it go. I can just reach in there with my pinkey if I really want to switch it.

It was actuall ALOT easier than what I thought it would be. It may have taken about 2 hours total to do (after 1 hour of "do I really want to try this?"):rolleyes:

It was definately easier than typ:)ing all this....

Steve

Forgot this. Not the best picture but it's all I could find.

barkboat.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the info Steve. Nice job. When I have the front floor up, I will see if mine looks do-able. I only have 1 compartment, but think there is just styrofoam under it. Thanks again Steve..

Latest posts

Back