Raising Outboard Motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to raise mounting height of my Mercury 75 HSP. motor I have a engine hoist where do connect it to the outboard motor.

Steve

Steveyb,

not certain on the 75hp but i think there is a threaded screw eye type ring that you need to get. i think merc sells them (hoist ring?). it will screw in on top of the flywheel if it is like my 115hp. might be able to borrow one from a mechanic if you are in a hurry.

jd

if you price one you will be shocked. if you know someone at a machine shop you might get one at a better price. stan

Okay, here goes... I'm tired of this... toss the engine hoist. I'm guessing you're only going up a hole or two.

Lower the tongue jack as far as you can. Chock the wheels. Put something under the skeg (and cav plate if you can). It needs to fit tightly. Now, keep an eye on things and have someone else jack the trailer jack up. Boat comes down, motor doesn't.

Now, this was done on an Xpress boat with a 115 Evinrude. There are two bolts that go through the transom that have vertical play in them (a channel, if you will), and two bolts that go in holes to control actual engine height. Loosen the two channel bolts and remove the two height bolts. (this is before you start jacking the thing up).

A Nitro and a Merc may not have the same bolt setup. I would EXPECT they do, but I guarantee nothing.

Pretty hard to get fresh silicone in the holes if you do that. I woul drecommend using the lift ring and a hoist. Completely remove the bolts and reseal with fresh silicone. After all it is your transom.

Mini

I just bit the bullet and ordered the lifting eye from mercurypartsexpress.com it was $35.00 with shipping. I would have tried what Mike had posted but like Mini stated you want to reseal with fresh silicone plus this thing is hevey and you dont want any thing to go wrong. Thanks for all of the replies.

Steve

Latest posts

Back