Question on motor size for new 700LX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Bailey

Reaction score
OK, now I am worried that I made a mistake on my new Nitro 700LX. I opted for the 75 HP motor instead of the 90 HP motor to save a little money. You guys are telling me that a 90 is underpowered for this boat and I got the 75. Nitro's web site says that the 75 will push the boat along at 44-47 mph. The 90 increases to 46-49. I did not think the extra money was worth 2 mph. My old boat (18' Tracker Tournament Pro 18 with 25 hp)would only go about 15 mph so I thought I was doing well going up to 44-47 mph. Does anyone have experience with a 700LX with a 75 hp motor? Is the 44-47 mph rating correct? If so I personaly think that would be plenty fast for the smaller lakes in Illinois that I fish. (Springfield, Jacksonville, Clinton, and Powerton lakes) What do you guys think????

Randy -

I know those lakes..... You will be very happy with the 75 on them. You will likely want to add a hydrofoil to help you get on plane a bit more quickly.

me!

Randy, I had the 170TF with a Merc/Force 75, which was probably more like 65 to 70hp. I would top out at right around 40mph. A hydrofoil made the hole shot just fine. In general, I think you will find the performance acceptable. If you like speed, as I learned I did, you might miss not having more. But moving up from a low-powered aluminum boat, you should be happy with the performance you get.

Put a 225 on her! MORE POWER! Randy, if indeed you do achieve 47 mph with a 75 hp, then you're fine. And well spend a heck of a lot less on gas than the rest of us. I have a 150 and can only squeak out 57-58 mph, but I have a 2nd mortgage for gas! If you're happy with the performance, than don't worry about what other people say. Some of us just have an unhealthy obsession with speed! LOL You should be fine. Be sure to try and make the rally with that new rig!

Rob

Randy - It's all about what YOU WANT! Unless you plan to sell the boat in 1-2 years the 75 will go BLASTING past me in my 175 w/40hp (running 29-31mph). I read a lot lately of boats w/out the max HP are harder to sell used.

Now, I moved from a 14ft Jon Boat with a 5hp (ran it for 7 years) to my 175 w/40hp and run on a BIG LAKE (Lanier in north GA). Now on a Sunday summer afternoon with 30/40/50 foot cruiser and speedboats creating 3-5foot wakes is it the best/fasted boat - NOPE, and I stay in coves, rivers at that time. Like Rich S said (I rode and DROVE in his 170TF and it flew compared to my 175. Now when I get a chance to DRIVE Rich's 700lx w/115hp I'm sure i'll be even more impressed (he keeps offering I just can't schedule the time).

Its all about what you need, what you want and what you can AFFORD! Sure I could have dropped another $2,500 on the 75hp 2 years ago, but I needed that $$ for more important things (filling up my Roth IRA so I can retire someday and fish every DAY), so I priorizied (OK Beka did the priorization) and away I go.

Randy,

I have a 2001 700LX with a 90hp and it runs great. If you like to run down the lake at 70 mph then you might be dissapointed. I have checked my speed with a lowrance globalmap 100 handheld gps and I get 50 mph with two grown men in the boat. 50 mph on the water is fast enough for me.

If the 75 will push you to 46-47 mph, your not going to notice much difference. Be happy and enjoy your boat....your getting a chance to own a nice piece of equipment some others are not lucky enough to own............Besides, when it comes down to it, it's not how fast your boat goes, it's how many fish you catch.

Randy, I just traded off a 2000 700LX last October at the Boat Dock in Spfld, IL. I was very pleased with it power wise, and fishing wise.I had put a hydrofoil on it to help with holeshots, and alone in the boat I it came out of the water just fine. With another person in the boat it was a little slower coming out of the hole but was still satisfactory. I think you will be very happy with your new boat, I only trade up in size to get more space for non-boaters gear in the Il bass fed, tournaments that I fish. By the way, where in central IL do you live and are you a member of a club already? e-mail me at [email protected].

Let's talk.

Latest posts

Back