Question for computer "geeks"

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
Whenever I set my preferences for this site,I set the "sign me out" to never.If I close the internet or shut down the computer,everything goes back to the original settings and I have to log in again.This is a recent problem,everything would be saved before.

Did I mess something up? I did reload my Internet Explorer recently.Are my settings out of wack?

I am one notch above a moron when it comes to computers,I need help,so keep it simple.

Thanks

Steve

It might be that your settings in Internet Explorer are causing the problem. If you've got it set to clean out your Temporary Internet Files and cookies when you exit IE or shut down the computer, then the preference settings for this site are deleted along with the temporary files. It sounds like you're deleting the cookie that holds the preference settings.

That's were I'd start.

I have to log in every time but my prefrences always stay the same. What I am having a problem with is the "visited posts" function. Used to be when you read a post and went back to the main page, the post showed that it was read (different color), now it doesn't until you click on another post. I'm trying to get used to it.

TOXIC

Mo-how do I get into the settings.I tried using the TOOLS and then INTERNET OPTIONS at the top,but couldn't find anything.

Steve

It may be the privacy settings for Internet Explorer. Go to Tools / Internet Options / Privacy / then set to medium on the sliding scale. If this is set much higher than that your computer is likely blocking the "cookies" which identify you to this website when you come back or not letting the website read them after you log off.

--Corey aka computer "geek"

I'm having the same problem that Toxic is having. Haven't changed a thing. I thought that my computer was goofed up.

Harpo

Corey-Checked it,it's set on medium.I also checked and it says cookies are enabled.Like Mo said, it seems like it's clearing out when I shut down.I also have my history set for 3 days.Any other ideas?

JW-You are absoutly right.Usually when I have problems,I get my 10 yr old daughter to help me.

Steve

Steve--

The place you set IE to delete Temp Internet Folders is: Tools / Internet Options / Advanced ...from here scroll down to the "security" section. There is a checkbox for clearing out that temp folder on a reboot. Make sure it is NOT checked. If that is not it I am not sure...other than I assume you are not manually clearing them out? Which is not a bad practice...had to ask :)

--Corey

I knew I saw that box somewhere,I just couldn'remember where....It's not checked.

I do manually clear them every week or so,It used to save my pass word and preferences unless I cleared them.

God,I really hate computers.......where's my hammer?...

I closed it down,opened it back up and had to sign in and could not even edit my last post from ten minutes ago.

I recentyl installed a pop-up stopper.I wonder if it is dumping my cookies or temp.internet files?

Same here as TOXIC, Soonerfan and Nominal.

I'm old - I hate change.

Maybe we ought to boycott the site.

Or withhold our membership dues until Rich gets it fixed.

We could all carry signs and walk round and round our monitors.

Sign Rich up for multiple issues of Advanced Fishing Tactics from B.A.S.S.

Dump our old soft plastics in the bed of his SportTrac to eat into the liner.

Switch the steering cables on his Nitro so it goes the opposite way.

Better yet..... Until he gets it fixed..... Condemn him to night after night of beer and wings with Mac 'n Mini at Hooters!

me!

Guys, the best bet for solving this problem is deleting your cookies. There is an unnamed IE bug that occassionally causes this problem.

Tools/InternetOptions/Delete Cookies

It's a pain in the but because you have to reset your preferences, but it seems to solve the problem.

Guess I can put away the protest signs!

Maybe Dell will start a new series of comic books.....

Based around the Legion of Super Geeks!

Rich in tights with an "S" emblazened on his chest!

Geez..... My humor has become warped..... Been around Mac too much.....

Didn't solve the problem of the links showing as "read" when you go back to the main posting page. Still have to click on a new post to get the old to show as read or a different color. I personally likesd it better when you returned to the main page, the link showed the post you were just on as read.

TOXIC

Tox, Rich,

Just had to do an whole new install of Windows (BTW good way to blow 8 hours) and mine does the same thing.

Carlos

Mine does show the posts as "read" if I return to the main page by clicking on "Nitro/Tracker Board".

If I use the back button, it does not.

It used to show them as "read" even if I used the back button.

I have not deleted any cookies or done anything else yet.

Latest posts

Back