Howdy - Battery question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
Just wanted to say Hi to ya'll, I've been off the net for about two months with computer woes.

Got out on Clark's Hill yesterday for a few and caught 4 for 9.5lbs. Did have a question though, the boat I recently bought was set up with an extra battery just for the GPS units. I have a lowrance (console) and a Humminbird (bow) hooked to it, but halfway through the day, I had to turn off the Lowrance in order for the Humminbird (bow) to stay on. The guy who sold me the boat said that when the power gets low, the one on the bow doesn't have enough juice to run. Seems to me that a battery should be able to support two GPS units for more than 6 hours? Shoot, I used to run my 12v trolling motor all day on one battery. I'm taking the battery back to switch out for a new one. What do ya'll think? Once again, great to be back and I pray the pending fishing season is good to ya, be safe.

JP

It should power your DF's with no problem for a day at least on a full charge. A broadsounder will eat it up faster, but you should still get a day out of it and another DF on a fully charged 12V. Pop the batt. caps off and check fluid level. If low, top off with distilled water (on a cool batt. that's been off the charger for a bit) and charge again. Hope it's that easy for you. Good luck! ;)

I pulled the battery and it turned out to be a cranking battery...........:huh: Shouldn't it be a Deep Cycle battery like the trolling motors use?

JP

I wouldn't think so; I run two finders [and a radio] off my Big Mo's cranking battery. I think most boats do that. I do that many days without ever running the Big Mo to "re-charge" the cranking battery and fish all day.

Latest posts

Back