PT-175 tweaks worked well

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Burnau

Reaction score
Hey all!

This is an update on sorting out my 'new' '01 PT-175. I asked about fixing the torque steer and fish finder issues in a previous post.

I tweaked the trim tab full right on the 75 HP ELPTO, and it helped quite a bit. I now have neutral steering at all speeds, when properly trimmed up. Gained a little top end in the process, because I can trim the motor up a little more than before, without porpoising.

However, my motor was factory rigged (I guess the factory did it) all the way down on the transom. This puts the prop shaft 8 inches below the pad! More on this in a later post ...

As for the transducer sucking air above 30 mph, the fix was too easy! When I pivoted it up on the mount, found that it was adjusted at the top of the range. Loosened the screws, pushed the mount assembly all the way down, leveled it versus the transom step and tightened it back up. The 'ducer is now about 3/4 inch below the pad. The fish finder now gives depth readings at WOT, clocked at 42.4 mph GPS on a short run. Still breakin' in the motor!

Oh, I ran a full tank of fresh 50:1 premix break in gas Saturday, and will likely always run 100:1 premix afterwards. Had a bad experience with an autolube pump failure on an Evinrude some years ago. Anyway, the autolube pump on this motor is working fine thus far.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all of the good input. It sure hlped to make the job easier, and a lot of fun! :D

Kevin

I have right hand torque on my 185 but, once I hit the trim button...it goes away almost immediately. If you can find you a good used SS prop...you should be able to run pretty much the same numbers I am with a 90. About 45 with just me and about 42 to 43 with two people and a light load:)

If you can find an SS prop...it will also help with midrange performance but, there is one small drawback with a heavier stainless prop on a small gearcase and it's called "clutch dog rattle".

It's only right at idle speed and it's not really an issue with me and I've never heard of negative effects to the gearcase and nor from Merc:D

Latest posts

Back