Prop Question...Bob???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Wolfgram

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a 1998 Savage 896dc. Have some issues with it at lower speeds. Got a 200 optimax on the back. First thing is that around 30-35mph, boat seems to porpoise. Now haven't been out since, and couldn't spend alot of time with it to see if trimming down would rectify problem. So, will have to try it, but any other recomendations would help. Also Holeshot seems to lag a bit for my liking. Noticed prop already has large plugs for PVS. Can I remove the plugs all together to aid in the lift?? Have a 24pitch tempest ss prop on it now. Also have a 23 pitch tempest ss as a spare. Would the 23 be better?? Boat cruises nice at 65mph with 5" hydraulic jack plate completly down. I know by going to the lower pitch my WOT will increase but should help holeshot, right?? Anything helps guys!!

Thanks,

Matt

What is MOST important....top end or hole-shot / mid-range performance?

For me right now, because I'm a novice at a boat this size, is hole shot. I'd sooner be up and out of the hole and on plain than crazy fast. Also would like to cruise at a slower speed on uknown water bodies without the porpoise effect.

If that's the case there is no better choice than the "high-five". Go with a 23". You won't be disappointed. ;)

Sorry Bob, but in the mean time, before I can find some coin for a new prop will removing the existing plugs in my prop do anything for me?? Or, just increase rpm's more than anything??

It might assist in the holeshot but will not affect top end...experiment!

Latest posts

Back