Project Sprint

• Thread starter Rich Stern [URL]http://www.zjstech.net/sprint/proj
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOLY Improvements Batman! Now why didn't you do all THAT to the Nitro before I bought it!!! LOL On the centerline rod storage, how are you gonna do that? Drill holes through the existing front storage glass (under the extention) or redo the whole front deck???

I'll wait till I get my pro seat/pole for Hanukah before I see if I need an insert for the Nitro. If I do, I'll call you for advice!! LOL

Looks good Rich. Looks like a fun project. Two comments though.

On the motor those carb johnsons were always durable right up intil the bomb took them over, it was the ficht ones there were the issue. I know a few guys that have that model and they run them pretty hard, it can take it if its maintained good.

Let me know if you ever get the AM radio thing cured. Mine does it pretty badly on AM and i have tried power filter etc to no avail. Mine even gets noisy when another boat is on the tm 50 feet away. I have even tried using a walkman and headphones to listen to the Sox and it interferes with that too so there may be no cure other then XM radio:).

TrepMan said:
Now why didn't you do all THAT to the Nitro before I bought it!!!

Michael, if you want me to come over and help you spray paint the cowl, no problem! 'Course, it doesn't need it, but hey, what's a little overspray between fishing buddies drinking beer on a Sunday?

Jim, thanks for the comments on the motor. I know the design is tried and true. I've read quite a few reports of lower unit problems in late 90's era OMC V6s. Hopefully, the motor is sound and will give many years of service. It runs great now, but it's a common concern: Just how well will my Johnson work as it gets older? :eek:

As for the radio, I've got FM working great, even with the trolling motor going full tilt. I don't know if AM is ever gonna be better. I even tried the radio on it's own 12v supply, completely isolated from the boat's electrical system, and the interference was still there.

However, your problem may be specifically related to the Red Sox... :p

Great job Rich, looks great!!:D

There isn't much you can do with the AM radio. The interference comes through the antenna,not from the power source.

Mom always had her AM radio on in the kitchen, and she would turn it a certain way depending on where the static was coming from to eliminate it.

Rich - Meant help with the INSERT, and spraying the wood! Not the cowl!! I don't know how you kept that 115 cowl so nice, even on my tracker I had a few scratches from going under/through trees to retrieve lures!!!

Its KILLING me not to go out and try the trim unit on the water, but it's raining :-(

Rich,

That front deck insert looks factory. I always wanted to put one of those in my NX882. How much time and money would you say you had in the deck insert? Great job!

Kevin

Kevin, I used about a half sheet of 1/2" ply I already had on hand, but it's not more than $20 worth. I used about $10 worth of West Systems epoxy (that stuff is expensive). If you get a sheet of pressure treated ply, you won't need to seal it with epoxy, as I did. Spent perhaps $15 more on the stainless hinge and the screws, which are available at any decent boater supply store or Internet site. Carpet came from the boat.

So, figure $50 to $75, depending on materials, particularly carpet.

That is an awesome job and you are doing amazing work!!! My family is hoping to get a glass fish ski in the next 1 to 3 years and your project has really opened my eyes to the possibilites. Before I would have never looked at that model because it doesn't have a rod locker, but now seeing what you have done I know that you will find a great way to store the rods. Keep us updated!!

That's a lot of work Rich but it sure looks like it's coming together so it's worth it. It's going to be a great looking rig when you're done.

Looking at the picture of the whole rig, it looks like that motor would flip the boat and trailer over backwards.:)

I forgot to tell you, I know a couple of guys who have/had an Evinrude Trolling motor and they both just loved them. That's all they want now.

Bill

Thanks for the supportive comments, gents.

It is a labor of love.

you know you might be right Rich. My problem is cured now since the Sox laid up another stinker.

Bo did they ever look overmatched in the playoffs.

oh well footballs here..... oh wait my Pats arent playing too hot right now either....

Great project Rich. I agree with the labor of love. Over the years I've taken on several project boats that turned a profit when I sold them.

Good work,

Da Bear

You have really done some work...At least you will have it the way you want It....AND you know whats gone Into It..Nice Job Rich..JR

Awsome job Rich.......I should hire you to detail my boats before I sell'em!! :D

Mac

I thought I did good just replacing the taillights on the trailer.

Very impressive Rich. You should start your own boat building company.

Looking great Rich!! Holler if I can be of any assistance. She is a beauty!

How about some help pulling fish into the boat? :D

Hey Rich, I guess you have to change your welcome message signature. :huh:

Rich Stern

1999 Nitro 700 LXDC, Tracker ELPTO 115

Sully - Thats right Rich, don't be taking credit for MY Nitro!!! Though... for a LARGE fee, i'll allow you the privelige of retaining 1% ownership for the purposes of marketing and sales!!!! LOL!!

Latest posts

Back