porpousing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stan jones

Reaction score
what can i do to stop my boat from bouncing. i can trim it out sometimes but not always unless i trim all the down and then bow draggs and i lose a lot of speed. it has gotten better with ss prop but someone said wedges in the rear corners will help. i need info about these wedges. the boat is a 1989 1800 tf with 115 mariner. and want to keep this motor. thanks stan

Stan, every rig is different but I have always been led to believe that too much trim without enough speed is why they porpose. I have been able to bring my rig out of this situation by applying more throttle or trimming down. Does your rig porpose at full throttle?

TOXIC

i have the lx700 w/115hp and it seems as Tox posted that the more throttle you give it, the better it pulls the bow down which keeps it from bouncing so much. once you speed up and get the bouncing to stop, then trim up to find a sweet spot. when mine starts bouncing bad, i hammer the throttle and if that don't bring the bow down, i trim down a bit till it stops bouncin. i think i saw these wedges (trim tabs?) in the cabelas catalog or maybe bass pro. might check out their websites to find the mfg of them.

jd

One other solution, often mentioned, for porpoising, is a hydrofoil. Mine does it (porpoise) at medium speeds on occasion.

Tex

i have a hydrafoil and it's sweet spot is 3/4 throttle. if i'm alone it's a lot better than with someone else in the boat. stan

I really need more "seat" time in my 1st boat (Targa 18)-- I wish there was a "driving school" where we could take out boats --- learn to best way to handle them in different conditions.-- When I start porpousing -- I've been plaining down and backing off on the gas alittle. Guess I'll hang on and give it more throttle as you said Toxic. -- Do you trim all the way down -- or does it depend on the Boat?

Good Luck Stan

I trim all the way down for holeshot and then up until I get "neutral" steering and good rpm's/water pressure. I can trim all the way up and get some chinewalk which I drive through but at full trim, I loose neutral steering (my 929 becomes a log with a motor). I get 3 or 4 more mph but it isn't worth it to me. You have to find where your hull/motor combination like to run and like you said, seat time is the best teacher!!

TOXIC

i am 47 years old and grew up on a lake and have been running motorboats since i was 12 years old. i have had boats with power trim since the late seventy's. i have never had a boat that bounced like this one. i have had a lot of seat time. this boat needs something modified on it but i don't know what. i have a hydrafoil and the hull is not warped and thit is the motor that came on the boat. if i don't wan't to run above 4500 rpm when the water is a little rough i'm ok. but i would like to use all the power that this motor has.(5300rpm). like i said before it has gotten a lot better since i got the 22p ss laser 2. also this is the smallest motor that i have had in many years. i would like to know more about these wedges i've heard of. but no responces have discussed these. thanks stan

Latest posts

Back