onboard charger ??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Carlson

Reaction score
My 1st post but probably not the last. Found this site while doing some boat shopping and think it is great! Just took possession of a new to me 2008 Nitro 189 Sport / Optimax 115. A lake neighbor of mine sold his cabin and boat and I think I got a great deal on a low hours, nearly new rig. Racoons wintered in my old boat and State Farm totaled it. Ugh - what a mess!

Boat has a 24v system for a 70# MotorGuide but no onboard charger. Looking for comments - 2 bank or 3 bank to include the cranking battery? Risky to include the cranking battery because of the Optimax? Is the install a DIY? Product suggestions?

Will no doubt have additonal questions and now I know where to get the answers. Thanks for your help.

Welcome Bill! Except you'll have to legally change your name, we have WAY too many Bills on this site!!! LOL

Get a Guest 3 bank charger, easy DIY install, and you are off! A lot of guys will chime in, on exactly where to mount it in your boat, just needs to have space/air around it (mine is mounted to the rear transom in my 700lx).

Well ya gotta tell us more about yourself, then WE can pick a good name!! LOL!!

Hey Bill!

Welcome. Sounds like you got a nice set up. I echo Trep's recommendations on a three bank. You won't hurt the outboard at all and you'll have piece of mind on knowing the cranking battery is up to snuff. Its good to have as the boat's accessories (e.g., livewell, radio, lights, fishfinders, etc.) all run off the starter battery. Depending on how you fish, you may not run the big motor enough to ensure the battery is topped off after every trip. A three bank charger will make sure of that.

As for brands, Guest is good. I've also had good look with the ProMariner line, which is what I have on my bass boat now. Can't say a bad thing about either. ProMariner tends to be more value priced.

Welcome Pelican1. Yep Guest 3 bank is the way to go. But NO WAY do you let these guys pick a name for you !! :wacko:

Thanks for your comments guys. The Optimax has a pretty strong alternator but I'll look at the 3 bank for piece of mind. What was that old line about names...call me anything you like just don't call me late for dinner!

Just put a Promariner (bought at BPS) 3 bank charger on my 188 Sport - works great. Had a Guest 3 bank charger on my previous Nitro. Installation is pretty easy, as mentioned before it just needs to not be in tight quarters so it doesn't overheat. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply Heath. BPS online has their XPS i series 3 bank 15amp at 1/3 the price of the promariner 300. Is Promariner 3x better charger? Unfortunately I don't have as much time on the water as I'd like, who does??, so not sure I need to spend the $$ unless the XPS is junk. Where did you mount the charger in your Sport?

Pelican Bill

Can not say first hand, but have read reports that the BPS version is not as good as the ProMariner. Lots of complaints even though they are made by the same company! Again, this is just reading the posted reviews so take it for what its worth. From first hand experience, my ProMariner is on season two with no issues. YMMV.

Jim

Bill, I don't have any experience with the XPS Brand - I mounted the charger in the rear compartment next to the cranking batteries - at the bottom of the hull. This was the best place I could find with the best air flow/least restriction. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back